1995 nissan altima control arm picture

Old 04-13-13, 02:28 PM
1995 nissan altima control arm picture

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 4473
Size:  49.7 KB

This is a picture of the pivot arm attached in the lower arm and the pivot arm not included in the new arm above.
cannot figure out how to get ot off the old one onto the new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 04:20 PM
Raise and support the vehicle safely.

Remove the front wheel.

Disconnect the sway bar from the transverse link.

Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the ball joint and separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle. This can be accomplished by either striking the knuckle with a hammer or using a ball joint separator tool.

Remove the nuts and bolts connecting the transverse link to the suspension member.

Remove the transverse link from the vehicle.

| Repair Guides | Front Suspension | Transverse Link (lower Control Arm) | AutoZone.com

Apparently, transverse link simply slides off that bar, without it being unbolted from the subframe.
Now that you have it off, did you try locking it in a vise and removing transverse link, aka control arm, off it?

Old 04-13-13, 04:21 PM

Old 04-13-13, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I had good look at the inside of the bushing where that pivot arm is. It's nothing but a metal sleeve. PA should come out. They wouldn't have had nut and bolt in there, for an integral piece.
My easy guess is - it rusted inside, likely deformed due to mileage, and simply bound. Lots of QuickWrench, soak overnight, or for several hrs, and whack it out. You problem is not to damage threads. I'd whack on a piece of hard wood, not on the bolt itself.

Old 04-13-13, 04:50 PM
Thanx for the advice. Soaking seems a smart way to go. I tried putting the nut back on, to prevent damaging the end, and banging that with some severe hammer blows--no go. The PA seems like aluminum alloy and the others are steel, maybe they are cold welded?

Strange that the Chiltons and the stealership say the bushings are not servicable, but so many replacement parts and bushings are avail. without the PA attached. Hmmm

maybe some rotational force on the PA via the bolt holes. Wish I had a good vise and work bench.

Thanx again

Old 04-14-13, 09:56 AM
Cbuddy2005,

It really is easier and more effective to just "Press It Out". Many auto part stores (Auto Zone) for example offer a "Tool Loaner Service" where you can borrow a press for FREE.

Thank You
Amy

Old 04-15-13, 06:17 PM
That's why I'd have started with bolting PA back to the subframe and trying to twist CA off it. Like I said - I had clear picture view inside of PA, where the bolt is - and it's smooth bore sleeve. It IS cold welded, have no doubt.
Hammering on it sort of produces little effect, as bushing dampens blows.
In my garage, I'd have had that PA upside down between the vise jaws, with L-shaped part of it, with holes, down, and that will support CA, then hammer it out.
But yes, soak, soak, and soak. Jaw puller type thing may also work.
Like one of the U shaped one sin this kit:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/gallery/pa...675__file__med

Old 04-17-13, 06:41 AM
There was a instructional posting on a Nissan forum where it showed drilling out the middle of bushing between the sleeves--where the rubber is. I assume the PA then just falls\comes out of the CA. he then hacksawed the outer bushing sleeve, which was still snug inside the CA, to make room for the entire new bushing to be put into the old CA. he showed nothing of the PA and the smaller sleeve still cold welded to the PA. So, I assume I hack saw off that smaller sleeve from the PA, make sure the PA shaft has no burrs etc. . .and then slide the PA into the new CA which already has new Bushing installed. And bolt it all back together.
this car of mine is old and all these metal parts are orig. so of course nothing comes out easy.

And it is nice to hear someone not telling me to hammer it like H$#L!! Which does exactly what you said, is dampened by the rubber inside the bushing.

I tried using a puller and it was pushing the PA out of the CA, but the rubber is solid and was putting up a fight almost too much for my harbor freight puller.
Eventually the rubber would have torn completely or the bolts in the puller would have bent badly.
I also finally bought a vise and a heavyduty hacksaw, so I think I am ready!!

I appreciate the help

Old 04-17-13, 12:28 PM
Cbuddy2005

(You stated) I also finally bought a vise and a heavyduty hacksaw, so I think I am ready!!

Well I really wish you the best of luck.

At this point (and if it means) anything to you???

I've been "Pressing Them Out" for years.

Never needed to use a vise or hacksaw.

Thank You
Amy

Search this Thread