horn problem

Old 04-28-13, 10:26 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
horn problem

I hadn't honked my horn for as long as I can remember. Yesterday I was driving along and all of a sudden it started randomly honking without me even touching the horn button(s) on the steering wheel. I noticed this random honking seemed to stop and start depending on the position I happened to turn the steering wheel. With the vehicle stopped, I can turn the steering wheel to certain positions and then the honking will start, then I turn the wheel a little and it'll stop honking. For now I disconnected the wire(s) at the horn to keep it from honking. What's the likely cause of this and how can I fix it? thanks

Old 04-28-13, 10:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

Likely cause and problem is under the steering wheel. Under it is a rotating disk with contact tabs or points. Likely the one for the horn is making constant contact as a result of a wire contact and/or the horn button is stuck in the down position.

As the steering wheel rotates, somewhere the horn wires are in contact. Possibly under the steering wheel. A continuity meter can confirm contact at the horn button and then at the wire(s) out of the steering wheel to the horn. Your job is testing to determine exactly where contact is made between the two and correct it.

You may only have to remove the decorative cover beneath the steering wheel to access the wires. Steering wheel removal may have to be done. Much more complex with an air bag installed.

Old 04-28-13, 10:51 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sgull

Based on your description of the issue first thing is to rule out a "Clock-Spring" issue. Secondary to that would be a horn relay issue, (and or) a horn pad issue. If after ruling out the mentioned, and if the issue continues then post back for more repair information.

Thank You
Amy

Old 04-28-13, 11:24 AM
Thank you for those helpful replies. I'll try to check those things out best I can, and can/will post back here with further developments.

Old 04-28-13, 12:17 PM
One thing I failed to mention is that when I press either of the horn buttons on the steering wheel, the horn does not sound. It only will honk as I described, randomly as the wheel is turned one way and the other.
The service manual for this vehicle does indeed state I'll need to remove the steering wheel and air bag module to be able to remove the clockspring. I do know the specific location of the horn relay. From my description does it sound very likely the horn relay could be the problem at all, versus the clockspring? Because of course changing out that relay would be much less involved than changing out the clockspring.

Last edited by sgull; 04-28-13 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-13, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd disconnect/cut the horn wires before they enter the steering column and run the wires to a convenient spot under the dash and install an after market horn switch. That will allow you to operate the horn when needed and negate the need to open up the steering wheel w/air bag.

Old 04-28-13, 12:26 PM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Why would you not include make/model/year of vehicle so we know what you are talking about?

Old 04-28-13, 12:37 PM
I'd disconnect/cut the horn wires before they enter the steering column and run the wires to a convenient spot under the dash and install an after market horn switch. That will allow you to operate the horn when needed and negate the need to open up the steering wheel w/air bag.
Now that sounds to me like a logical way to go here. Thanks, good suggestion.
Except I'm assuming it might end up being rather difficult to find for certain where the horn wires are where they enter the steering wheel.

Last edited by sgull; 04-28-13 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo/added comment
Old 04-28-13, 12:40 PM
A
Squll,

(You stated) It only will honk as I described, randomly as the wheel is turned one way and the other.

Your above statement is screaming out a "Clock Spring Issue". Thing is not to put the "Cart Miles In Front Of The Horse" here. In other words post the year, make, and model of your vehicle.

Thank You
Amy

Old 04-28-13, 12:40 PM
Why would you not include make/model/year of vehicle so we know what you are talking about?
I'm talking about a Jeep/Grand Wagoneer/1993. A beater.

Old 04-28-13, 12:58 PM
A
Squll,

Based on your last response (that shows the vehicle info) we're talking about a "Clock-Spring" issue here. Have seen it COUNTLESS times in the past.

Thank You
Amy

Old 04-28-13, 01:11 PM
Based on your last response (that shows the vehicle info) we're talking about a "Clock-Spring" issue here. Have seen it COUNTLESS times in the past.
Okay then, thanks Amy.
I really don't want to have to go to the trouble of pulling the steering wheel and the other things involved to replace the clockspring to fix this issue. I'm strongly considering marksr suggestion as posted #16 here. The trick with that, though, is probably going to be finding the horn wires where they enter the steering column. They're likely within the steering column wiring harness, which contains a bundle of wires.

Old 04-28-13, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can run all new wires if it makes it easier. It's been a long time and I don't remember exactly how a horn is wired but basically you just have the horn, a relay and power source. The horn button just interrupts the circuit until it's pushed in. I've also used a spring loaded toggle switch to operate a horn.

Old 04-28-13, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just a note here......if you have an airbag in your steering wheel you will need to disconnect it prior to messing with the wires in the bottom of the column.

Old 04-28-13, 04:30 PM
if you have an airbag in your steering wheel you will need to disconnect it prior to messing with the wires in the bottom of the column
Thanks for that note PJmax. Yes I see in the manual it prominently mentions several times when servicing the air bag system or steering wheel area there to make sure to remove and isolate the battery negative ground cable from the vehicle battery to prevent accidental airbag deployment.

Old 04-28-13, 04:38 PM
You can run all new wires if it makes it easier. It's been a long time and I don't remember exactly how a horn is wired but basically you just have the horn, a relay and power source. The horn button just interrupts the circuit until it's pushed in. I've also used a spring loaded toggle switch to operate a horn.
Yes running new wires would likely make it easier for me. If I can make heads or tails of the wiring diagram showing the circuit between the horn, relay, and the battery, maybe I can figure out and manage to just run all new wires and have it work out. I do like that idea of a spring loaded toggle switch too.

Old 04-29-13, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
In the meantime, you can always say a prayer that it doesn't begin to malfunction at a stop light when you are behind a group of Hell's Angels Just a thought.

Old 04-29-13, 08:26 AM
In the meantime, you can always say a prayer that it doesn't begin to malfunction at a stop light when you are behind a group of Hell's Angels Just a thought.
Chandler I thought of that too, and also thought of just in case my prayer in that circumstance should malfunction.
For now I disconnected the wire(s) at the horn to keep it from honking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: