98 Audi A6 Avant fuel sending unit

Old 05-01-13, 06:07 PM
98 Audi A6 Avant fuel sending unit

Apparently the fuel sending unit has died in my audi. Would you know if the fuel tank must be dropped in order to replace the unit or is it accessible some other way.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-13, 01:33 AM
Group Moderator
You should not have to remove the tank.

Open the trunk, and remove the carpet and the trunk liner. Locate the fuel pump access cover plate close to the rear seat.

It can be removed with a Phillips screwdriver.

Old 05-02-13, 04:12 AM
Dan0661,

What signs and symtoms are you having, and what tests were done to have you beleive that your issue is related to the fuel sending unit?

Do a scan for error codes, and post any codes that may be set, as error codes often point to what the problem is in the first place.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-04-13, 05:44 AM
Amy,
Tank had been near empty and car sat for over 6 months. Fuel gauge on dash does not read any thing in the tank. Indicator light on dash reads low/ time to refuel. Have not tested for codes.
Thanks.

Old 05-04-13, 08:56 AM
dan0661,

You have yet to post back stating if your vehicle is starting or not. If it is starting (and based on your last response) then you should use two applications of the product that appears in the link below.

Amazon.com: sta bil fuel stabilizer

If it is not starting then post back saying so.

Now I know you said that you have not done a scan for error codes. Well when you get a chance do a scan, and post any codes that are set. Then clear all the codes and drive your vehicle normally (for at least 500 miles) and post back the results (and or) if the same codes return. Also post back if any new error codes return.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-04-13, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Tank had been near empty and car sat for over 6 months. Fuel gauge on dash does not read any thing in the tank. Indicator light on dash reads low/ time to refuel. Have not tested for codes.
Ok...the tank was near empty and car was sitting. Did you add gas to fill the tank ? After adding gas did the gauge still read empty ?

Otherwise why are we discussing the fuel sending unit ?

Old 05-07-13, 05:56 AM
Amy
I'll try the sta bil and see if that works. I was figuring the ethanol may have gunked up the contacts on the potentiometer and that would be why there is no signal to the gauge. I'll drive over to my local parts place get some sta bil and see if they can do a scan for me then post the codes if there are any.
Thanks

Old 05-07-13, 06:15 AM
If you parked the car for that long by choice, next time make sure it has a full tank. Less air in the tank, leaves less room for condensation and for the fuel to go bad.

Old 05-08-13, 05:41 AM
Picked up sta-bil and treated the gas. No codes shown on scan. Will be out driving.

Search this Thread