How do you determine which AC oil to use

Old 05-06-13, 08:28 AM
How do you determine which AC oil to use

I have a 91 S10 and the AC system was converted from R12 to R134. I've had the truck for 7 yrs and the AC has never worked since I purchase the truck. The AC compressor clutch was toast. I jumped 12v to the clutch and it doesn't engage. Not even a spark.

For ****s and giggles, I pressure/vacuum checked the system this weekend. I hook up my manifold gauge and connected a vacuum pump. I was able to pull 28-29 inches of vacuum. After pulling vacuum for over 1 hr, I removed the pump but left my gauge installed. It maintain vacuum for several hours so I'm going to assume the system is air tight.

The plan is to replace the compressor, accumulator and orifice tube. I just don't know what type of oil is currently in the system. So how would I determine if I should use Pag or Ester oil?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 06:28 PM
No. The plan is to remove compressor, pour some oil into intake and hand crank it. That it seized does not mean it will not de-seize. Had it done before. Might be tough to do, but been done.
They do not sell anything other than 134 compliant stuff in stores. You need to go abroad to buy something else. ANy sales guy there will guide you straight to the can.

Old 05-06-13, 06:52 PM
The compressor is not seize. While pushing in the clutch, I can turn the compressor by hand. The problem is the coil in the clutch, it's shot. I jump 12v (and ground) to the clutch and it doesn't engage.

You may have misinterpreted my post. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. I'm just not sure what oil to use, Pag or Ester. Or are you saying there's no difference between the two oil.

Old 05-06-13, 07:38 PM
use pag 50. but you also could get just a clutch and hub kit. not hard to do and most likely even do it with it still bolted to the car.

Old 05-06-13, 07:56 PM
I've seen video on replacing the clutch assembly while it's still attach to the engine, but you need specialty tools. I have the older GM compressor which I'm hearing is not user friendly when it comes to replacing the clutch.

Would you recommend flushing the system before using Pag 50? What's the difference between the Pag oils with the different numbers?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0011_large.jpg

For the cost and hassle of it, I've decided to change the compressor.

Old 05-07-13, 07:36 PM
pag 50 is what is recomended by gm. a flush wont hurt, never know what was left behind

Old 05-09-13, 07:13 PM
im so sorry i checked up on this at work and its pag 46. i got confused cause i knew it was the lowest number. they have 46 100 and 150. hope this didnt cause you any issues