Very low mileage on new Honda Accord 2012 EXL model

Old 05-06-13, 10:11 AM
Very low mileage on new Honda Accord 2012 EXL model

Hello All,

I bought 2012 Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder automatic car last year in September. Mine is 18.5 Gallons tank and I only get 300 miles full tank in the city. I use it 30-40%% highway and 60-70% city. I went to the Honda Service center and they asked where I fill the gas. I mentioned Costco and they blamed that Costo is a low end gas station and that I should only fill gas at Shell or equivalent. They also said that I will have to pay $150 for the inspection if it is related to the bad gas. I came back and now filled the gas from Shell but no improvement yet.Waiting for the tank to get empty before I can go back to the service center. I was told to try 3 full tanks before I visit them but I am afraid my warranty time may get over.
All my other friends have new and good cars and they fill in Costco too but they never faced any mileage issues. I need expert advise on how to move forward with this issue. My car is still in warranty and I am just getting 17 miles per gallon which is not even comparable with 10 years old car. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 10:20 AM
Reoly to 2012 Honda

The only impact I could see at a quick glance could be the ethanol content in the costco gas. We don't have a costco station locally, so I can't confirm how much they may have.
I would think that the volume of fuel costco moves should keep the fuel clean. They are not exactly little stations that move fuel slowing.

A slim long shot... Check your owners manual to see if your car/engine is configured to run higher octane then regular. Some cars (mostly with turbos) require premium fuel (91-93 octane) in order to run efficiently.

Old 05-06-13, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Here's my opinion of the Costco-quality-gas-is-the-problem diagnosis: Crap.

Here's the evidence to backup my opinion: "All my other friends have new and good cars and they fill in Costco too but they never faced any mileage issues."

You obviously have a problem, but I would be willing to bet money the quality of the gas you are running is not the issue. If the local dealership service department is unwilling or unable to fix it, ask to talk to the regional rep [or whatever the proper title is]. If it was in fact a fuel quality issue, it would NOT take three tankfulls to clear up; you would see an immediate improvement. The squeaky wheel gets the grease - do a lot of squeaking.

Old 05-06-13, 01:19 PM
I also don't believe the Costco gas is the problem. We run it in 3 vehicles with no issues whatsoever. In Minnesota it's the 90/10 ethanol blend. The boys 2012 civic EX sedan gets about 26/28 mpg in town and on road trips he gets 38/40 if he keeps the speed below 75 mph. Have they scanned for any check engine codes?
The kind of mileage you're getting is what could be expected if your pre-converter O2 sensor is bad and sending the engine into 'limp home' mode. It, of course, could be something else but this was the first thing that came to mind.
If you can't get a better answer from the dealer I would also suggest calling Honda directly and/or taking it to a different dealer.

just FYI, his civic has the 1.8 liter vs your 2.4 but his mileage is spot on with the EPA ratings considering the slight hit from the ethanol blend.

Last edited by mnjim; 05-06-13 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-06-13, 01:49 PM
Their answer smacks of BS. Where did you purchase the vehicle and how long is the warranty in effect. If you risk going past the warranty, get all conversations with them in writing and dated. At some point you will have to get service or bump it up to a customer rep who has the job of customer satisfaction. Did you do a car fax on this vehicle to see if has a history other than what you were told. Many flooded cars look perfect, but can have problems.

Bud

Old 05-06-13, 06:39 PM
Not the gas. Our best mpg is from Costco and Sam's stations.

Old 05-07-13, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you risk going past the warranty, get all conversations with them in writing and dated.
That's worth repeating! When my wife's merc was still under warranty the passenger window wouldn't work intermittently. Probably took it to the dealer a half dozen times but it always worked when it was there. Within a month of the warranty expiring the window motor went out. Because the dealer never bothered to write out and keep a work order, I had no record of it being pre existing and had to pay

I also agree the dealer is giving you the run around! Some drivers don't get as good as mileage as others will with the same vehicle but your mileage is ridiculous - they need to find and fix the issue. As TG stated - the squeaking wheel gets attention - make some noise!

Old 05-07-13, 04:33 AM
mnjim,
I didn't know limp mode existed in non-boosted engines.

to the OP,
Have you notices any hesitation taking off from a stop or any roll back?
When was the transmission flushed?

Just a long shot, but being an automatic, and knowing that most of the dealer shop guys locally can't think past what the book tells them, I'm wondering if the tranny is slipping a bit. If the OP is worried about running out of warranty, they may be due for a flush and fill of the tranny. The magnet on the bottom cover will show if there are major concern issues.

Old 05-07-13, 08:00 AM
mnjim,
I didn't know limp mode existed in non-boosted engines.

It's definitely not a turbo/sc engine only thing. It's been around on practically all cars for many, many years although it might behave differently depending on the car maker. Quite often it will result in the car running a overly rich fuel mixture to 'protect' it. Better to foul spark plugs than melt engine parts.
Point being it will kill gas mileage and should also throw a OBD problem code. The poster has not said if the car has been checked for codes or not though or if they have even checked the spark plug condition. More info would be helpful.