Transmission Help

Old 05-07-13, 06:07 AM
Transmission Help

Hello Everyone, I had a transmission put in on my 1991 Plymouth acclaim about 4 years ago and it is running good, but this last week I noticed when I first start out in the cold (and I did not warm it up first) it hesitates shifting for a couple of blocks, then it is perfectly fine.
Question #1 are there bands on this car, and if so do they need adjusting?
Also, if no bands, would a changing of fllter and transmission fluid help? I never had that done?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-13, 06:12 AM
I'm assuming this is an automatic.
I can't answer the first question (not fimilar with that transmission) be will say a flush and fill will tell you what is going on inside your transmission.
There is generally a magnet on the bottom plate, which collects any bits of metal that come off. This will tell you exactly what is going on.
It could be low on fluid as well.

Old 05-07-13, 10:01 AM
ok Thanks, Does it have to be hot when checking the level?

Old 05-07-13, 10:37 AM
It's been a while for me, but I believe so.
Check your owners manual before adding any fluids. It may also highlight the steps as some do under the maintenance area.

Old 05-07-13, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Warm and running. I don't think there'll be any adjustments possible, can't say for sure. Fluid and filter may go a long way in better operation; always the first thing to try at any rate and if you drive it an average amount, you should be at about 50k miles. This was a rebuilt/remanned unit? As noted, check manual, if available, to be sure. Double check type of fluid it takes.

Old 05-07-13, 07:45 PM
just let it warm up. these have seals that love to harden and when cold they leak line pressure internally. causing your delayed shift/engagement. best fix is to rebuild. there is only on kind of additive i would trust to try and soften these seals. and that is "lube guard" trans additive. (red bottle).[ATTACH=CONFIG]12336[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-13, 08:49 PM
Old 05-08-13, 04:10 AM
tomtom59,

When your Acclaim sits overnight, fluid from the torque converter drains back into the pan area. When the vehicle is started, it takes a few seconds for the fluid to refill the converter. This process will not fully occur until the unit is placed into any other gear position than park. This is a normal quirk of a torque flight transmission, and there is a valve body kit that will minimize or eliminate this symptom. Some adjustments may also be possible, but more information is necessary. From below what transmission is in your Acclaim?

3 Speed A413
3 Speed A670
4 Speed A604

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-08-13, 11:46 AM
Tomtom59,

I have time right now, so Iím posting some additional information for you.

Thank You
Amy

Your issue could be due to hardened internal rubber lip seals on servos or clutch drum piston, sticking valves. When the transmission is cold, the lip seals can stick in their "at rest" positions. When fluid pressure is first applied, they will not move for a while, but when they finally do, they will function until the transmission cools down and the process is repeated. When the transmission reaches operating temperature, the seals are often softened enough to function properly. Invariably, this problem will get worse with age and colder temperatures. Additives that are formulated to soften internal seals will usually do more harm than good for the transmission in the long run. There is no way to control the affect that additives have on seals, and therefore, the repair of the problem to is overhaul the transmission. The degree of "hardness" of the various seals in a transmission will vary greatly. The seals that are not hard will be softened to a gummy, swollen mush. If the cause is sticking valves, you may have worn parts in the transmission depositing metallic debris in the transmission pan. This debris then gets sucked into the valve body and the valves stick. The sticking valves can delay shifts and cause other strange problems. Pressure tests, a pan inspection or other tests are usually necessary to find the actual cause of the symptom. If parts are wearing inside of the transmission, it will need to be taken apart to find worn parts and replace them. If the transmission has very many miles on it, or very much debris in it, that usually means an overhaul. On a transmission that is is electronically controlled, the problem may also be due to a problem with a sensor, the computer system, wiring, connectors, solenoids, etc. Again, diagnostic tests would be necessary to pinpoint the cause of the problem and correct it. The good news is that you may not need an overhaul in this case. The bad news is that sometimes the cause of the problem can be difficult to pinpoint. Therefore the number of tests and the charges may be higher.