'94 Ford Tempo power steering hose

Old 05-12-13, 02:03 AM
'94 Ford Tempo power steering hose

I just bought a 1994 Ford Tempo with the 3.0l v6 knowing that the power steering pressure hose was leaking. The previous owner assured me that the rack would have to come out in order to replace the hose, but I don't believe that just yet. It does look like it could be a pain in the hind end, however. My Chilton's manual only goes up to 1992 for the Tempo, and doesn't cover the hoses at all. Any words of wisdom here? Can it be done with the rack installed, or am I better off pulling it out? I've got the next three days off and would really like to have this car ready to give to my stepdaughter for college graduation in a week... Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-13, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
The rack R&R can be found in the repair guide section of autozone.com; no help on the hose question there unfortunately. If it was me I would at least have a go at it before surrendering to pulling the rack.

Old 05-12-13, 05:43 AM
Thanks towguy. Looks like where the hose connects at the rack is kinda hidden. Haven't been able to find the connection to the intermediate line yet, but I'm waiting for the smoke to clear first (seems the hose was spraying onto the exhaust)! Plus, I've got to replace the brushes on the starter before I can start it to ensure that's where the leak is, etc. Seems like the typical project I end up with. Oh well. Thanks again for your input. Hope there are others with experience with this task... 'Til next time - Chris

Old 05-12-13, 06:45 AM
CMil,

You donít have to remove the rack to replace the hose. For access you can remove the front exhaust pipe, (Automatic Transmission Only). Also necessary for this job is a lift for hoisting the car into the air. Donít attempt this job while lying on your back in your driveway with jack stands.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-12-13, 06:04 PM
Thanks AMY FIX. Got it done, but without a hoist or lift and without removing headpipe. Had to do this in my driveway, so blocking the car up was sort of the only alternative. Here's what it took for me...
Removed the left front wheel/tire and splash shield; removed air cleaner to gain easy access to connection to intermediate line; removed power steering pressure switch; disconnected return hose fitting from rack; then removed pressure hose fitting; wormed the old hose out the right side of the engine bay then fed the new one in the same side. Installation was simply reverse of removal. Gained access to all fittings on the rack through the halfshaft and tie rod end "windows". The only way it could have been much easier would have been if everything had jumped itself out of the way! Actually, if I had had a sacrificial 11/16" wrench that I could have felt okay about cutting down to about 6 or 7 inches long, that would have been THE ticket. Otherwise, not near as bad as it was in my nightmares. In closing, thanks for the help AMY and tow guy. Hope this is of some use to somebody else. Now, on to the next issue... Chris

Old 05-13-13, 04:04 AM
Group Moderator
Good job.