1997 Honda Passport Intermittent Power Loss

Old 05-13-13, 07:44 PM
1997 Honda Passport Intermittent Power Loss

Ive got a 97 Honda Passport, 6cyl, 3.2L engine automatic that is losing power, not sure if its the fuel or electrical part but it drives along fine and all of a sudden check engine light starts flashing and you can push gas to floor barley goes does this a few minutes then its back to driving fine. The check engine light been on since I had the car and had auto zone do a check said Egr valve probably had ethanol gas run through it might need cleaned. I took to mechanic and they said threw a code that something wrong with 5th cylinder they checked compression and it was fine and put a new plug in and cleaned egr valve and drove it for a while and said thought that fixed it but next day drove it again and it started same stuff with losing power for a few minutes and then just going back to normal. They told me they did not know what the cause was. Wondering if anyone have any ideas what it could be, When it loses power kinda like if the catalytic converters stopped up well they have been cut off this car. Ive had the car several months and drove fine until recently and it started this. Thanks for any good ideas what it could be to cause an intermittent power loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
First thing, get a fresh read on the codes and post back what you come up with; that may give a starting point or at least eliminate some possiblities.

Here's some reading on EGR's:

Bad EGR Valve Symptoms

Not sure what they meant by having ethanol gas run through it; tough to find gas around here that isn't 10% ethanol, unless they're suggesting it had E85 in it.

Ideal way to troubleshoot would be with a portable scanner connected so that the performance data can be observed in real time when the problem occurs.

The cat being removed could cause a constant check engine light; when you had the codes read last were any of the codes related to the cat or the O2 sensors?

Old 05-14-13, 01:38 PM
Thanks

Thanks I will try to get the codes checked again over the weekend due to long work schedule im not sure what a portable scanner is and doubt I would want to buy one but guess it hooks up to where the codes thing does. Take me out of the 70;s models or earlier im just lost with cars.

Old 05-14-13, 02:07 PM
dlangdado,

A flashing “Check Engine Light” (as you stated) is the sign of a serious misfire (either cylinder or ignition misfire or both) that has long been ignored. The fact that the light is currently flashing, means that the catalytic converter is on the verge of being destroyed. May I ask why you ignored the “Check Engine Light” for so long? To avoid any further (and much more expensive damage) stop driving this car, and get it to an ASE Master Mechanic for repair.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-19-13, 08:59 AM
Got New Codes

Took to auto part store got new set of codes and they were still Egr valve and 5th cylinder misfire. Ive drove the car some this week ran fine but noticed that you could get the misfire to happen when going up a hill to give a lot of gas then check engine light start flashing and would start missing or just alot of power loss and in about a minute it would straighten out and run fine. I guess I will take it to a different mechanic because I don't want to replace that egr valve because it was reading a problem with it before misfire started, but I don't know anything else to do except replace the coil but it works too when just idling and you can check it by unplugging it and engine sounds changes.

Old 05-25-13, 09:38 PM
Still doing the same thing

I took it to another mechanic and he replaced all the plugs and a new coil at cylinder 5 and when I drove it still done the same thing check engine light flashing started missing and barley go up a hill. SO I cleaned out the egr valve and it was stopped up, pulled the throttle body off cleaned out all the openings put it all back together and test drove it done fine drove it up a good size hill started missing and check engine light come on. I done a compression test just on cylinder 5 and it was 150 psi dry did not do wet and did not check any other cylinders. When I unplug the coil from that cylinder I cant really say I can hear a change in that cylinder. I hate to take it all apart and change the fuel injectors but I dont know what else it could be any ideas

Old 05-26-13, 10:23 AM
dlangdado,

On 5-19-13- at 11:59 AM you stated:

Took to auto part store got new set of codes and they were still Egr valve and 5th cylinder misfire.

Well, if you post the actual error code numbers (for the new set of codes) that were read that could get us started towards resolving this issue.

Is PO305 set?

What other code (or codes) are set?

Have you ruled out a defective number five spark plug?

Have you swapped out the number 5 ignition cable with another ignition cable to see if the misfire follows. If it does, that's a clear indication of a failed ignition cable?

On a "COP Set-up" (coil on plug) swap out the number 5 coil with another coil. If the misfire follows the problem is a failed coil.

Have you used a "Noid Light" to confirm that the number e fuel injector is firing?

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-26-13, 08:44 PM
Reply to Amy

Im not sure code number but they told me it was 5 cylinder misfire, in earlier writing I said had changed that coil and all the spark plugs, and no I havent used a noid light have to take the air intake, throttle body off on this car to get to the fuel injectors so yeah I guess thats my next step probably will just replace them if get down to them and check voltage with a volt meter. Thanks for your advise

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-27-13 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Typo fix