Calipers Locking Up on Town and Country

Old 05-14-13, 07:53 AM
Calipers Locking Up on Town and Country

I have an '08 Town and Country minivan that has had a history with brake problems. The previous owner had pads and rotors replaced twice in the front and once in the back. When I purchased the vehicle at 70,000 miles the one thing I noticed was that although it was shifting smooth it would shift between 3,000 - 4,000 RPM. I threw it up on a lift and noticed that the right front caliper was locked up. Seeing it had white discoloration from heat on both front calipers I replaced them and the pads. A week later the right front caliper is locking up again. Has anyone heard of similar problems with that make or model or have any idea what could be causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about that particular make/model, but locking calipers is often a failing brake flex hose. There's another thread running here about that problem on a Buick.

Old 05-14-13, 08:06 AM
Is that something you can tell by looking at it? I checked that and didn't see anything apparent wrong with that.

Old 05-14-13, 09:03 AM
yeah im the one with the buick we are going to try tonight and see if it is the hose ill post back and let yall know we have replaced the caliper,brakes,rotor, and abs pump and for some reason we didnt replace the line we know better but things happen...save money i think we spent a lot of money we didnt need to

Old 05-14-13, 09:14 AM
Thanks. I appreciate that. I know I've heard one other person mention the ABS pump or possibly a proportional valve. I'll wait to hear how changing out the hoses works out for you.

Old 05-14-13, 11:07 AM
I found a way to test for a plugged hose (my 2005 Malibu had one). Just undo the hose end on the caliper, if if does not drain fluid from the open end, it's plugged. Mine was plugged where they crimped a holding bracket around the hose. It would work the brake but not relase sometimes.

Old 05-14-13, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, that'll do it. Cracking the bleeder will do it, too. Really not a visual inspection you can make as the failure is the internal wall of the hose that deteriorates.

Old 05-14-13, 01:36 PM
When you say that the caliper is locked up do you mean that the wheel is hard to turn when the car is off the ground? Is the rotor scored?

Old 05-14-13, 01:48 PM
Brewcityc,

Flex hose brake issues are common, but not on your particular vehicle. Reason being is that the “Residual Brake Line Fluid Pressure” and “Running Brake Line Fluid” pressure” are great enough (at all times) to keep any brake hose from collapsing on to itself. Your problem is a defective “Brake Caliper”. What’s happening here is that the “Caliper Piston” is failing to retract all the way back into its bore. As a result the brake pads are staying in constant contact with the rotor and causing the brakes to drag. The failure for the retraction could be due to dirt, rust, moisture, seals, mechanical (and or) any combination of the mentioned. Depending on your level of skill you can try to “Rebuild” the caliper. If you decide to replace “Raybestos brake parts and accessories is all I use. Visit the link below.

Raybestos Brakes - Home

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-14-13, 02:56 PM
I have to disagree. The colapsed brake hose will expand when you give it brake pressure but it will not relase and hold the pads on the rotor.

Old 05-14-13, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
A little off topic..... I tried rebuilding several brake calipers.
For the cost of a factory rebuilt.....it doesn't pay to mess around.

Old 05-20-13, 07:19 AM
hello dont know if you have fixed your problem but on my buick we replaced the hose and sure enough that was it.. I have drove the car to South Carolina which is 3 1/2hours and back home and no problems,,,sorry it took so long to respond.....at first we replaced the rotor, caliper, brakes and the abs pump and for some dumb reason we didnt replace the hose but after the comments we got on here we replaced the hose and like I said it worked....If you havent already fixed your ride good luck hope this helps

Old 05-20-13, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for stopping back and letting us know the outcome. I'm sure the others will appreciate it also.