Dodge shadow radio help?

Old 05-21-13, 07:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dodge shadow radio help?

Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i have been having with my 91 Shadow. The radio display flashes but is almost never fully on, and occasionally when it does show up fully and the radio plays then it only lasts for a matter of minutes before going silent again. What could be the causes for this? I have looked everywhere and can't find any previous discussions anywhere and i would like to try to take care of it myself before taking it to the shop. Plus the plan is to put in a new CD player soon, but if it's a wiring problem then that's pointless. However if the radio could be the sole issue, as it's stock, then i might be inclined to just replace it right away... Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! If any clarification is needed please just ask!

Old 05-21-13, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is a problem with the radio. An extremely common problem.

The display may light up briefly and nothing works or the display is just dead and nothing works..... is that correct ?

Old 05-22-13, 04:42 PM
M
Not really, the display when it fully lights up plays whatever station it's currently on. But it's very infrequent, it definitely does occasionally work though. And I wouldn't have guessed, I can't find anyone having been talking about it anywhere. So should i proceed with using an instillation kit and putting in the new cd player? And thank you!

Old 05-22-13, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
If it's the factory installed radio..... they had an issue with the crystal trimmer capacitor in those radios. Normally the radio would go dead and nothing would work. If you un-plugged it and reconnected it... it may work. The problem could happen as you mentioned although that was a rarer problem.

If you wanted to pull the radio out and try something.... I could walk you thru it. Just involves an internal adjustment with a small screwdriver. Otherwise it's time to replace with a new unit.

If you do replace the radio.....when you get the install kit..... pick up the two wiring plugs. Makes swap to an aftermarket radio really easy as those plugs come with the colors that will match your aftermarket unit.

Old 05-23-13, 03:30 AM
A
MeyersMan,

If you do decide to install a new radio you should use a “Wire harness Adaptor”. This eliminates the need for cutting and splicing into the radios factory wire harness.” Scosche Industries” is a company that makes this type of adaptor. Visit the link below.

Home | Products by Scosche

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-23-13, 01:35 PM
M
I think i'll just take it out and not mess with it. As the plan has been to replace it regardless it makes more sense to not even waste time getting it to work, but thank you. I'll get the plugs lol and Amy i will check into that, if it makes my work easier then i'm all for it. Btw, there's a thicker black wire is this the ground? It's the only wire i can't easily disconnect from the back of the radio and i'm not quite sure how to get it off although i feel it should be pretty simple regardless. I appreciate the help guys.

Old 05-23-13, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Usually on those radios there is a gray plug and a black plug.
The ground is attached to the back of the radio with a self tapping bolt. 3/8" head.

Re-use that ground for your aftermarket radio as there usually isn't a ground wire in those two plugs.

Old 05-23-13, 08:34 PM
M
Then i'm not totally sure what the last wire is... It's a single wire and black, it's actually connected to the radio so it looks as though i may have to take the radio apart to take it off. Ringing any bells or should i just go ahead and try that?

Old 05-23-13, 09:33 PM
Group Moderator
If that is an original OEM radio then there will be some way to disconnect that wire. If not at the radio.....follow it back into the dash and see if there is a way to disconnect it.

If you ultimately end up cutting it.....treat it as a 12v live wire until you test it. Insulate the cut wire.

Old 05-24-13, 12:06 PM
D
Wait! Don't cut it yet!

This might be your antenna lead! You don;t want to cut it. I'm not entirely clear from your post if you'd disconnected that already or not.

If it is the antenna lead, then it should twist it back and forth a little, and then it should pull right out.

Does your car have a CD changer? It could also be for a trunk-mounted changer. That may wiggle a little up and down, then pull out.

I hope this helps. Never changed a radio in a Dodge, so take the above with a grain of salt, or three. Good luck!

Old 05-24-13, 12:38 PM
M
As far as i know i haven't messed with anything relating to the antenna lead... And i haven't changed a radio before so i'm sure you can imagine this is an interesting experience. I just don't want to somehow mess it up and have my radio be like permanently unusable or something. It does not have a CD changer. Thanks for the advice! And PJ I will look into that, as long as it isn't too far back into the dash if it is there then i should be able to get it. And if i do have to cut it then i'll probably take it to someone so they can help troubleshoot beforehand juuuust to make sure that i wouldn't be screwing up something that ends up being important.

Old 05-25-13, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
As you pull the radio out of the dash......the antenna would be plugged into the right side almost at the very top. It will be almost as big around as the coax used for your TV cable.

If it is the antenna wire....you don't want to cut it. It can't be respliced. The antenna would need to be replaced.

Old 05-25-13, 12:59 PM
A
MeyersMan,

Actually antenna wire (Coax, Cable etc) can be cut and spliced. When you cut the antenna wire you’ll see the outer braid (ground) and the center conductor (positive). When you make the splice, make it an “Offset” position. In other words, the ground or positive should be higher or lower than each other (the same as splicing lamp cord for example). This assures that they remain separate from each other, so that shorting out each other is impossible. Also make sure you solder your splice connections, and instead of using black vinyl electrical tape use shrink tubing.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-25-13, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know if you've ever seen the coax from a car antenna but the center wire is extremely thin and is contained in a hollow plastic tube. Can be very hard to splice. Newer vehicles may use a coax with foam in the center but a 1991 wont.

Old 05-26-13, 11:41 PM
M
Hey all, thanks for the concern but it's all good. The problem wire actually was able to be taken out with a minimum of effort. So now that I have that out and ready to be thrown aside, i have one last question. I found the installation kit that's compatible with the shadow, however upon looking at my new cd player, the wires don't match up to the ones in my car... So can i get something else as like an adapter for the cords or would i have to get a different brand of cd player? I kind of feel like this is the general use for a wire harness but i don't totally understand what those do in the first place so i'm mildly lost. It might be totally common sense but lately i lack that lol so any more help would be appreciated!

Old 05-27-13, 12:06 AM
Group Moderator
If you do replace the radio.....when you get the install kit..... pick up the two wiring plugs. Makes swap to an aftermarket radio really easy as those plugs come with the colors that will match your aftermarket unit.
I left you that way up in the 4th post. Then Amy mentioned it again in the next post. He left you a Scosche website link. You should be able to get them from the same place you got the mounting adapter plate. Places like Best Buy, Pep Boys, etc. also carry them.
Name:  plugs.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 05-28-13, 08:43 AM
M
Ooooh i guess i was on a different wavelength... My bad, sorry. Thank you you guys have all been greatly helpful!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: