Head Gasket Replaced, Car Runs Terrible

Old 05-24-13, 11:31 AM
Angry Head Gasket Replaced, Car Runs Terrible

We bought the car and two days later the check engine light came on throwing a P0335 code (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction). We were told not to worry about it until it started acting up.
About a week ago, we were told the intake gasket needed to be changed (car was over heating, never got past halfway). We had it changed and got the car back and now its worse!
Now there is white smoke coming from the tailpipe and the car is running really rough, like it wants to die out. The head gasket was not cranked or blown before the intake gaskets were changed & we only drove it home (didn't over heat). The next morning we noticed the smoke & running rough.
We have checked the spark plugs (dry, no liquid) and also done a pressure test and its not losing pressure. The mechanic told us it could be the crankshaft position sensor throwing the car off.
The actual sensor was replaced, but still have the same code, so he said to replace the wire. My issue is, I was told that the wire was ran into the harness, how would I fix just the wire? Also, a Chevy dealership said the car has two crankshaft sensors, but my mechanic says the car only needs one of the two, is this true? The dealership also said that the new sensor had to be programmed...?
I've also noticed that my oil smells like fuel, and the smoke from the tailpipe does as well. Could the crankshaft position sensor (wire) be causing all these problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-13, 12:09 PM
Oh boy... Welcome to the forum.
What is the model and year of the vehicle (assuming a chev)?
I'm thinking it's a head gasket personally. Check your oil (oil cap and dipstick can do) and see if it has a bit of a milky color to it.
If nothing, check the coolant for oil.

Most cars I've seen blow a head gasket, generally get coolant in the oil, but some do the opposite.

Was this a private sale or through a dealer?
A lot of areas have a minimum return period that would allow you to return the vehicle for cases like this. Doesn't apply to private sale and not all areas.

Old 05-24-13, 12:48 PM
Chevy lumina 3.1L, 1998. Head gasket has been checked, its not cracked or blown. No mixing of coolant and oil, & vice versa. No gunk on oil cap or dipstick. No air bubble in my raidator. Doesnt loose pressure either. Only code is the p0335. Was told I could have ovet filled oil (only put 4qts) & was told to drain oil & change change spark plugs...?

Old 05-24-13, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Crank position sensor is not going to cause white smoke out the tailpipe. White smoke is either going to be coolant (will smell sweet) or if it has a slight blue-ish tint, could be oil. Dark smoke would be from running rich.

I think my next step would be to get an opinion from another mechanic. I don't think you mentioned a compression test, either; that might be a good idea. I tend to lean toward Mike's diagnosis, unless the intake manifold job was botched.

When you inspected the spark plugs did one or more of them have a center porcelain that looked like a brand new plug right out of the box? That would be another indicator of head gasket; basically the coolant getting into the combustion chamber steam-cleans the plug(s).

A little puzzling that the leak test was negative, but you seem to be losing coolant into the cylinders.

Old 05-24-13, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Found an interesting dissertation here:

Coolant Leaking From Intake Gaskets (GM 3.1L, 3.4L)

Might want to read that through carefully for clues, especially the last several paragraphs.

Old 05-25-13, 04:07 AM
nessa2013,

Your issue has been completely misdiagnosed. Forget about the setting of any error codes for now. See a dealer about TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) number 03-06-01-010B. Applying this TSB will resolve your issue. Post back if codes remain after the TSB has been applied.

Thank You
Amy

Old 05-25-13, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the text of that TSB:

TSB 03-06-01-010 - Ask the GM Technician - GM-Trucks.com

Hmmm, misdiagnosed? Think I said, "unless the intake manifold job was botched" and the updated gasket requirement is addressed in the link I posted.

Old 05-25-13, 09:40 AM
Tow guy- I think he was referring to the OP's mechanic.

Old 05-25-13, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
I read thru this thread twice.... I'm assuming that your title is incorrect where it says "head gasket replaced"

Old 05-27-13, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, I caught that just now from the title right before seeing your post; guess we were all a bit myopic.

Old 05-27-13, 06:45 AM
jps
Is the a GM notice on the 3800 engine with the intake gasket problem? I'd like to see it. TIA jps

Old 05-27-13, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
03-06-01-010 applies to 3.1L and 3.4L.

Depending on the year TSB 01-06-01-007 or TSB 03-06-01-016 for the 3.8L.

Intake manifold deteoriating gaskets problem - GM Service Bulletins - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

Looking for GM intake gasket info-model specifics - Bob Is The Oil Guy