Old 05-31-13, 09:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toyota RAV4 SUV

I have a 2004 Toyota Rav4.
It has 140,000 miles on it. Runs well.
A recent problem however is:
When I start it, it begins to shake. When I accellerate there is no problem.
It happens only when the engine is cold.
Any ideas on how to help me with this problem ?
Thanks

Old 05-31-13, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
One question...when was the last tuneup done on it?

Also....just a random thought...you could have a leaky fuel injector that drips gas in to the cylinder after sitting for a while. When you first start you have one cylinder running very rich for a short time and causing an imbalance. If you start it and let it idle for a minute, does it smooth out?

Guess that was 2 questions...

Old 05-31-13, 02:21 PM
J
Thanks for your response:
It's my daughters car. After it's running it smooths out. Yes
She just had it in for a tune-up. They did everything but change the plugs because they didn't have time & she needed the car for work. The plugs need to
be changed yet I think.

Old 05-31-13, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Good place to start. Also wouldn't hurt to have it checked for codes even if the check engine light isn't on. Original plug wires?

Old 05-31-13, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
They did everything but change the plugs because they didn't have time & she needed the car for work.
That sounds very odd to me. On newer cars a tune-up pretty much is only change the distributor cap (if it has one), wires, and plugs. Use the super computer to check the engine operation and done.

Sure filters and belts need to be checked and replaced if needed...but that's not really part of a "tune-up" in my mind, just regular lube and oil maintenance.

So what did they really do at this "tune-up"?

Old 05-31-13, 08:28 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
these are really bad about the valve getting too tight. they should be adjusted every 60,000. with most cars its not needed but rav4's still have adjustable valves and as they wear the valve pulls up into the head making a tighter clearance. meaning they dont open as far, giving you less air/fuel. cold starts need more fuel/air. about 75% of the ones i have seen set a miss fire code. p030X (X=1,2,3,4)

Old 07-16-13, 08:20 AM
J
I thought I would finish this tread with the conclusion after two months of trying to solve this problem the second Toyota dealership diagnosed the engine since the check engine light and trac light came on. 5 codes showed up on the diagnostic check. The mechanic changed one fuse that solved the problem. The first Toyota dealer & Mechanic estimated the repairs could be as costly as $1,000 to $1,500 bucks! Weird huh ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: