Blind nut solution?

Old 06-02-13, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Blind nut solution?

I'll start off by saying that while I'm an avid DIYer, my skills don't continue much into the auto repair realm. So I'm hoping there's an easy solution I'm just unaware of.

I had to replace a bent antenna on my '98 Toyota 4-Runner. Started off as an easy project until I realized the antenna motor mount bolt snapped and now I have an antenna motor that's just hanging basically inside the wheel well.

My first solution was to tap (using just the threads of a new bolt) the sheet metal that the motor mounts to, but being probably 16 or 18ga steel, that solution held up for only a couple days until the bolt vibrated out.

I can't seem to get to the back-side of the wheel well to affix a nut. It looks like it's behind the firewall and I'd have to remove the passenger side dash as well as the AC ducting and who knows what else. A bit too much of a project for me.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to bolt the motor to this sheet metal, where I only have access to one side. The existing hole is about 1/4", so I'm not sure a rivet would work. Actually, do they make pop-rivets that large that can be attached with a hand tool? Any other suggestions or tricks?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
This is just a wild guess, cuz I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to body work... but doesn't the wheel liner come off, to access the motor? This seems to be what a quick internet search comes up with. I'll send you the link.

Old 06-02-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
The fender liner should be plastic and usually held in with snap clips or several screws/bolts.

Were you trying to just replace the telescoping part in a factory power antenna ?

Old 06-02-13, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, the fender liner is just plastic and was removed without a problem to access the antenna motor. The project was initially just to replace the telescoping antenna, but then I realized the motor was just hanging by the wires.

So accessing the motor isn't an issue, it's reattaching it to the sheet metal of the car. I think I may try the pop-rivet route and see how that goes.

Old 06-02-13, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
mmm. I think I would probably use epoxy. PC7 (in the 2 part cans) would be my first choice. All you'd have to do is clamp/brace it into a blob of the epoxy paste and in about 1 hour, no one would ever be able to get it off the fender.

Old 06-02-13, 07:48 PM

Search this Thread