'99 Plymouth Breeze

Old 06-02-13, 06:41 AM
'99 Plymouth Breeze

This car runs great otherwise but when on level ground at a constant speed it pauses and surges, like you are constantly on and off the gas pedal. If it had a carburetor I would say the float was sticking.
What direction do I need to look first?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 08:15 AM
It could be many things from a cylinder miss firing to a fuel flow problem. Start by checking for fault codes. Is the CEL on? You can have your car scanned for codes at places like Auto Zone for free. What is the maintenance history of the car in regards to plugs, wires, filters etc.?

Old 06-02-13, 10:51 AM
I have only had it a little over a year, my daughter takes it college. It runs fine if it is under load like going up a hill. It doesn't seem to be a misfire problem and there are no warning lights or check engine lights on. It seems more like a fuel issue.

Old 06-03-13, 09:50 PM
Not sure how many miles are on the vehicle,or the maintenace that has been done on it for even basic items like spark plugs and wires, but if the vehicle has had basic maintenance kept up but nobody changed the gas filter you could always replace that, along with adding a fuel system cleaner like seafoam to the tank. You could also clean the throttle body with a good carb cleaner as a start point.

Old 06-04-13, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
My first thoughts ran towards throttle position sensor or MAP/MAF sensor, but those should be lighting the check engine light. I'm inclined to agree with the fuel filter as a start. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a fuel pressure reading on it, too. Next step would be to get it on a scanner at a garage and see what all the systems are doing.

Old 06-05-13, 03:29 AM
Oneshotman,

When was the last time a major tune-up was done?
Have you ruled out cylinder misfires, ignition misfires, vacuum leaks, and ambient air issues?
Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?
Are all the fuel injectors firing?
What engine error codes are set?
When the engine pauses and surges, what the fuel pressure psi?

To confirm proper fuel pressure drive the car with a fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail, and post back the fuel psi reading you are getting.

Thank You
Amy

Old 06-05-13, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.
The only things I know for certain is that a tune up, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc were done a little over a year ago, probably 7k miles ago, and there are no check lights on.
I put a bottle of fuel treatment in it but no noticeable difference.

Old 06-05-13, 06:09 PM
oneshotman,

Forget about the check engine light, and just do a scan for error codes. If you find any codes post them here so they can be seen. Confirm fuel pressure via a fuel pressure gauge. Best thing to do is to drive the car with the fuel gauge attached to the fuel rail. Drive at different speeds and engine loads while watching the gauge. If the gauge needle holds steady then fuel pressure is good. On the other hand, if you notice the gauge needle moving wildly, then you could have a fuel pump issue.

What does the electrode burn on the plugs look like?

Disassembling the throttle body and giving it a good cleaning in a parts washer would be a good thing. When cleaning pay particularly close attention to the pivot points of the butterfly.

Thank You
Amy

Old 06-20-13, 07:21 PM
Just an update. It was the transmission. Did a flush and filter change and she is good as new.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-21-13, 05:31 AM
Just an update. It was the transmission. Did a flush and filter change and she is good as new.
Thanks for the help.
Wow, didn't see that one coming.
I've had a couple cars with the same engine you have. My money was on the PCV hose had split where it connects behind the intake manifold. It was a very, very common issue on the 2.0L engines and apparently is still an issue on my 2.4L turbo (also a Dodge).

Common issues was surging, or stalling depending on how the wind blew.
The hose comes off the connection directly behind the intake manifold, then does an immediate 90' bend. it's at the bend and towards the nipple that rots out or splits.
Cheap fix, just a PITA if you don't have a skilled friend with small hands (or small hands yourself).

Old 06-21-13, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, did a "duh", too, when I read that. Coincidentally my wrecker was doing that earlier this week; pulled into my driveway and I was losing tranny fluid. Had a hose come loose.