How much power draw on 98 Grand Caravan?

Old 06-05-13, 12:10 PM
How much power draw on 98 Grand Caravan?

I don't put many miles on this and frequently if it sits for a week, with doors open, the battery will be dead. How much electrical draw is there in this mode. The interior lights turn off in just a few minutes, but it is still using power. The dealer says the battery and alternator are good.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Only way to know for sure is to measure it with a multimeter set to DC amps between the battery terminal and a removed cable. Set it to the highest setting and check. The problem will be when you disconnect, it will reset the timer for the dimmer and you may draw more than the meter will handle on initial reconnection. I'd find a meter with at least a 5-10 amp setting that you can adjust down as the buzzers, chimes and lights go off.

Why would you leave the doors open?

Old 06-05-13, 03:21 PM
I knew you'd ask

It is my work vehicle and all my tools are in it. At 68 I don't work a lot. Therefore, when I am not working for someone, I am tending to my 1902 house and constantly opening doors to retrieve tools. It is just easy to leave the doors open. I hoped someone out there just sort of knew how much power these cars draw in this mode. I don't have a DC ammeter. Maybe I'll just put it on the charger when it is in the garage.

Old 06-05-13, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh...clear now. Yes, a trickle maintenance charger would be a cheap fix. Don't use a regular charger unless it has an automatic maintenance mode.

Old 06-05-13, 05:16 PM
Handyman663,

First thing is to rule out a parasitic battery drain. Do that with the first link below. I also understand your reasoning for keeping the doors open. With that being said, have you ever considered using a battery cut off switch? For that visit the second link below.

How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain: 9 Steps - wikiHow

Battery Disconnect Switch

Thank You
Amy

Old 06-05-13, 07:27 PM
what i would do in your situation is to turn the dimmer switch all the way down. it will automatically keep your dome lamps off and help reduce power used.

Old 06-06-13, 05:13 PM
Thanks Iceman

I'll try that trick. This is not a large enough problem to spend much time on. I have a charger handy, which has a 2 amp setting. I was just really curious how much power is used with modern vehicles sitting idle. I thought the computer turning off the lights would save me and it does when I am working and leave the doors open all day.