A/C not working

Old 06-09-13, 10:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C not working

Have '95 GMC Vandura 2500 that we bought bout month ago. A/C doesn't blow cold. Checked freon & it took some but still didn't blow cold. At first the compressor wasn't kicking on. After adding some freon it clicks on & off. Keeps doing that as long as I have the a/c switched on. Question, bad compressor?
And it doesn't blow any air in the back.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Really don't want to spend the money for a mechanic if I can fix it myself. Thanks.
J

Old 06-09-13, 07:03 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
how did you know to add and how did you add. did you have a gauge? what are the pressures with running.

Old 06-09-13, 07:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor wasn't running & usually first thing to try is adding freon. I have one of those gauges from Walmart so I have no idea bout the reading on high pressure side & low pressure was top of the green. Don't remember the actual number. Barrowed my brother in laws AC manifold gauge & will be able to give more specific numbers after I connect that to it.

Old 06-11-13, 07:40 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
next try tapping on the clutch with a small screw driver while running. if it engages its a bad clutch assembly. even it dont engauge if it has magnitized to the screw driver then its still bad. if still dont work check fuses and swap relays.

Old 06-11-13, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Johnny..... we don't discuss and comment on freon pressures on DIY. Even though a non EPA certified tech can buy automotive freon...... the freon component is the one area we don't advise on.

Your system is currently low on freon and that's why it's short cycling. I doubt your compressor is bad. Since you have a dual system you have twice the amount of freon connections which means twice as many places for a leak. It would be wise to have a mechanic diagnose the system as well as locate and repair the leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: