2001 Mazda Tribute popping 5A blower fuse.

Old 06-11-13, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
2001 Mazda Tribute popping 5A blower fuse.

Works for weeks and weeks, then all of a sudden fuse blows when wifey heads to the gym. Was working fine when parked the night before. She gets in around noon to go teach and calls me 2 min later telling me no air flow.

The main function is the blower, but I see that there are connections to over and normal pressure signals from the PCM. Not sure if that would blow a fuse, but it seems like in the right circumstance it could connect the 12V directly to ground and blow the fuse.

Drove over a hundred miles yesterday following the One Run for Boston people (check it out onerunforboston.org ...wifey organized our whole section) doing from 6 mph to 70 mph...no problems.

Full disclosure...had A/C work done a couple of months ago. When I went for an oil change a month later tech thought there might be some leakage around one of the Shraders for the A/C. Checked it and pressures were good, so asked me to come back in a week or so for him to re-check. Wifeys schedule didn't fit and I forgot.

Replaced the fuse, good flow and cooling. Blown fuses have happened twice. 6 weeks apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
i would check your plug to the blower motor resistor should be a flat 4-5 wire plug near the blower. they love to burn and if jostled the right way short and pop the fuse. fix would be replacing the pigtail and the resistor.

Old 06-11-13, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
The 5A fuse would only be a control fuse. Most blower motors use 15-25 amps of power and are usually fused at 30A.

It looks fuse #2 is the one you are having trouble with.
It's listed as blower relay coil, rear defroster relay, pressure switch to PCM.

So the cause of that fuse blowing can be caused by three different areas. The blower motor itself would not be the cause. I don't have access to those wiring manuals so I have no idea which pressure switch they are referring to. If I had to guess though I'd say the AC low pressure freon switch.

Old 06-12-13, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Good advice...and yes PJ you are correct. My diagrams are on 2 different pages and I didn't flip back to trace it. I think the switch(s) is/are compressor clutch cycling pressure switch and a high/normal pressure switch. Looking more closely all they would seem to do is open the circuit to the PCM, don't think it would cause fuse to blow unless a wire shorted to ground somehow. So the only actual components that would draw any power would be the blower and defroster relays. Defroster sure isn't in use right now so it pretty much boils down to the blower relay or wiring. I've never heard of a relay coil shorting...but I guess it's possible?

Iceman...looking at the diagram clear headed, I'm pretty sure the resistor pack isn't on this circuit at all. As PJ said..thats on the 40A fuse. (Who'd have thought a small blower like that would need that large a feed? I'd have guessed maybe 10 or 15.)

Old 06-12-13, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...more Tributlations. The blower motor relay isn't in either of the fuse boxes apparently. I can't even find a parts listing for it at AZ, Rockauto or online dealers. All the relays listed seem to be the generic ones in the fuse blocks.

Btw...did it again just 5 min ago as she was driving to the gym. Replaced it yesterday afternoon and drove around for 5 min changing settings...worked fine. Think she went to a class around 6PM. Don't know whether she had it on early this morn for her class, it was pretty cool outside, but she didn't say anything either way.

I'm about ready to stick a 7.5A in and see what happens.