2000 Explorer has been sitting for a year suggestions on starting it

Old 06-12-13, 09:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2000 Explorer has been sitting for a year suggestions on starting it

I have a 2000 explorer that hasn't been started in a year or so and I want to start getting it going this weekend . there is about a 1/8 tank of gas and my thought is to :

1 fill the tank with a high grade gas and a can of seabreeze

2 pull the plugs and squirt some light weight oil in the holes then turn it over

3 install the plugs and see that happens .

any other suggestions or thoughts?

Old 06-12-13, 09:50 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to not install the plugs until you've turned it over a few times. You do not want to hydrolock a cylender with the oil in there. You might want to have new plugs on hand incase the oil fouls the plugs.
Disconnect the power to the fuel pump so that it doesn't fill the cylenders with fuel while priming the engine.
Being in Florida, you are probably not going to have to worry about condensation, so that will be a bit of a help.

I did a quick google search for your year of explorer and the "Clear Flood Mode" which my Dodge has. Apparently your truck has this and is done the same way.
The clear flood will cut the power to the fuel system, but turn the engine over. On my 08 SRT4, this will actually turn the motor over slower then normal. I use this every spring when I take the car out of storage.
How to use the Clear Flood Mode:
With the key turned to the off position, put the throttle peddle to the floor. hold key in the start position for ~5 seconds then back to the off position. Wait ~10 seconds and repeat.
This will circulate the oil and moving parts within the engine slowly, without firing. Be sure to allow 10 seconds or more for the starter to cool. Do not do this more then 2 cycles in a minute.

Old 06-13-13, 05:15 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks Mike ,the clear flood mode is interesting , I hadn't heard of that. I'll try that instead of pulling the plugs and doing the oil down the plug holes .

Old 06-13-13, 05:30 AM
N
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I wasn't aware it existed that far back but a quick google search indicates it was available. I've been using it for 4yrs now when waking up my car from it's winter nap.
I'll do 2 or 3 passes of the Clear Flood mode, then let the starter cool for a minute and then start it up.
On first start, let the truck run until it reaches running temp. This will help get the moisture out of the system and everything running smoothly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: