2000 explorer not getting fuel after sitting

Old 06-18-13, 06:25 AM
2000 explorer not getting fuel after sitting

I have a 2000 explorer that hadn't been started for a year or so , there was less than a 1/8 tank of fuel I added 8 gal of high test along with a can of sea foam .

when I spray starter fluid in it fires up , sounds strong for 20 seconds or so then dies . there is the fuel valve with a cap that looks like a tire gauge I was reading that fuel should squirt out when I push this but I get nothing

I'm going through the manual tracing the fuel system but I thought I would post in case anyone had experience that might help

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-13, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't bet your fuel pump was running. When you first turn the key, before turning all the way to "start" can you hear the pump run for about 2 seconds? If not you either have a dead pump or no power to the pump (relay, fuze). Not sure about a 2000 Explorer, but some Fords have a fuel cut-off inertia switch; it's designed to kill power to the pump in the vent of an accident. Check owner's manual to see if it has one and where it's located. If it's tripped, it's just a matter of pushing in the rest button.

Yes, if you press the schrader valve in on the fuel rail you should get a good spurt of fuel. Be careful when doing that, with a good pump the pressure and velocity of it coming out of the valve can be pretty strong.

Other possible, if pump is running, would be a clogged fuel filter; would be a good idea to change anyway given the long period of inactivity.

Old 06-19-13, 06:12 AM
Thanks tow guy , I was planning to change out the fuel filter anyway . when I added the gas my son got up and bounced around on the rear bumper to help mix it up (I thought it was a good idea at the time) but I'm wondering now if it got sediment in the tank stirred up clogging the filter or if it tripped the inertia switch you mentioned

Old 06-19-13, 06:55 AM
I twould bet the fuel pump is stuck from setting so long. Try a good rap on the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallet. I have a water feature that I use a car fuel pump in and I have to give it a rap if it sets for a while.

Old 06-19-13, 08:24 AM
Can't hurt I'll give it a good tap , thanks

Old 06-19-13, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Wrench; I should have mentioned the thump procedure.