Does anyone know how to remove these screws/rivets?

Old 06-20-13, 09:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove these screws/rivets?

The rear liftgate on my 02 Explorer Sport wasn't opening so I pulled back the rear panel and checked out the mechanisms, rods, and yellow plastic pieces. They all check out, but the actual liftgate handle is broken. This piece is bolted in with unfamiliar screws/washers/rivets?? They are not flat, phillips, allen, or any other head I know. How do I remove these??? Do I need to force them off or drill them out and just all out replace them with real screws, nuts, and washers after installing a new handle?

Here are 4 pictures of the screws I'm talking about (3 from the inside and 1 from the outside)

IMG_7473 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-20-13, 10:11 AM
T
Sure looks like rivets to me. Drill em out.

Old 06-20-13, 03:39 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It looks like pop rivets to me Start with a small drill and go bigger till you reach the size of the rivet.

Old 06-26-13, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
And replace them with bolts and self-locking nuts. Just make sure you check clearances on the new hardware.

Old 09-16-13, 09:33 AM
T
Those look like pop rivits to me, I would attempt to use a small drift punch and knock the center pins out first if possible as they are harder than the rivit shell. If you can accomplish that removal should be a snap

Old 09-16-13, 04:04 PM
M
I've dealt with these rivets a lot, they're often used to fasten in door components. Drilling them out works, but they often spin when the bit bites into the aluminum. I usually have to either hold the back side of the rivet with pliers or, if they're inaccessible, grind the rivet head off. I use simple 1/4-20 screws to replace them but as one of the previous posters mentioned, watch the clearances as the bolt or nut may interfere with the mechanism.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: