DIY fuel injector cleaning

Old 06-24-13, 09:02 PM
DIY fuel injector cleaning

New fuel injector O-rings came included among the others with my head gasket set for my 92 Accord, so i went ahead and replaced those O rings. I thought especially since I already have the injectors out it would be a good opportunity to clean them. Not that I necessarily have reason to suspect they particularly need it, although they might, and why not if I could? There's various different do-it-yourself methods of cleaning injectors on video at YouTube, most of which involve applying electrical power (usually via a AA or AAA battery and/or with use of a transformer, etc) to the electrical plug connection of the injector while spraying injector cleaning fluid under pressure into the injector. These methods can also apparently indicate whether the injectors might have faulty operation such as not closing properly or leaking. (You can see plenty of such videos by going to YouTube and typing in "clean fuel injectors")
However, my Honda repair manual states the following: "Bench testing of the injectors can only be done using expensive equipment. Generally this equipment can be found at a dealership and sometimes at a well-equipped machine or performance shop. There is no provision for field testing the injectors by the owner/mechanic. DO NOT attempt to test the injector by removing it from the engine and making it spray into a jar. Never attempt to check a removed injector by hooking it directly to the battery. The injector runs on a lower voltage and the 12 volts from the battery will destroy it internally."

So my question is: If I did happen to be able to find out and then apply the correct amount of voltage to the injector(s) while removed from the engine, could I still go ahead and try one of those DIY injector cleaning methods and have it work out just fine, "spray into a jar" anyway despite the clear instruction not to do so in the manual? Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never used one of those methods to clean injectors. Since you have the engine down and will have a "new" one once you are through with the repair, how much more would 4 injectors cost to replace the ones you have, especially if you suspect they are fouled?? Just curious.

Old 06-25-13, 04:29 AM
For the life of me, I can't remember what voltage my injectors operate at.

If you use the wrong voltage or leave it connected too long, you will damage the injectors.
Your manual probably states this to prevent this issue as well as possibly generate some shop revenue.
The last bit about revenue may not apply given the age of the car. I know on newer cars, the manufactures put a lot of effort into making some repairs or adjustments a dealer only item.
You'd be amazed at the hoop jumping we have to do with the newer Dodge SRT4s vs. the older ones.

Old 06-25-13, 08:04 AM
how much more would 4 injectors cost to replace the ones you have, especially if you suspect they are fouled?
$136.60. I don't necessarily suspect they're fouled (significantly anyway). Haven't particularly noticed anything to lead me to that suspicion, other than they've probably never been cleaned and would be worth doing if I could get it done.

Old 06-25-13, 08:28 AM
If you use the wrong voltage or leave it connected too long, you will damage the injectors.
Right, and I'd rather not risk ruining the injectors by going about it improperly/haphazardly. If indeed if there was a reliable/acceptable DIY method that was relatively uncomplicated for these injectors, I'd go for it. and apparently that is not the case. In my small town the two auto repair shops don't have the "expensive special" equipment to
properly clean and bench test injectors. So I might consider sending them out to this outfit: Injector-Rehab Fuel Injector Cleaning Services

Old 06-25-13, 10:07 AM
That outfitter is really pretty expensive at nearly half the cost of new injectors for a clean and test ($17 x 4 injectors).
I'd suggest hitting up one or more of the Honda forums to get a clear answer if there is a DIY available options and how to do it. More then likely you'll get and answer from someone who has done it and they can provide options and things to watch out for.

Old 06-25-13, 10:24 AM
I've cleaned injectors myself. That's because I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. I can't imagine cleaning injectors without one. I also reverse flush by forcing the fluid backward.

One problem with DIY is that you have no way of flow testing or balancing the injectors within the set.

Old 06-25-13, 10:41 AM
Yeah Northern Mike I did as a matter of fact hit up one of the Honda forums and so far the consensus is that it's not really a DIY job and really would need to have a properly equipped shop to have it done correctly. If indeed a viable DIY option presents itself I'll post back here, but I'm having my doubts now. thanks

Old 06-25-13, 11:18 AM
If you haven't had any issues with them, I'd leave them alone and use them as is. If there are issues down the line, they are easy enough to remove and address then.

That would be how I'd look at it in this case.

Old 06-25-13, 11:35 AM
Probably the best suggestion I think too. Thanks again Northern Mike.

Search this Thread