Honda Accord 2003 Belt Tensioner Problem...

Old 06-28-13, 09:30 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honda Accord 2003 Belt Tensioner Problem...

Hi,

I have Honda Accord 2003 V6 and few months ago I took it to dealer for power steering hose recall and told them car makes noise in cold morning and they told me to replace power steering pump coz it was leaking and I believed them and replaced it ()...after few months again same noise and took it to same dealer and they replaced new one saying previous power steering pump was bad...now after few days same or worse noise coming from power steering pump and took it AGAIN...now this time they are saying it's the BELT TENSIONER causing noice...I am sick and tired of these car dealers(blood suckers)... can you please help me out on this one.....Thank you.

RJ

Last edited by DCGuy; 06-28-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 03:39 PM
N
Have you had the belt replaced yet? If the power steering pump really was leaking and fluid got on the belt, a fluid soaked belt can make noise. Or a worn tensioner can cause the noise also.

Old 06-29-13, 08:26 AM
D
Hi nickmadalone,

I haven't replaced belt yet coz my car has only 81000 miles on it and ppl are saying I really don't have to change it unless really bad. Of course dealer suggest me to change which is almost $1200.00. And one thing I forgot to mention it makes noise only when my a/c is on. I just went out and start my car no noise whatsoever even my a/c is on. It happens only when it is hot and makes even worse noise when a/c is on.

Thank you for your reply....really appreciate it...

Old 06-29-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Okay, time out. I had to check, but that year and engine is an interference engine, aka "valve-bender". The only way you are going to know that is is "really bad" is when it breaks. When that happens, the $1200 preventive-maintenance belt replacement will look like a bargain. According to Gates (well-known belt maker) your recommended replacement interval is 105,000 miles. That being said, if it was mine I would start thinking of replacement at 80-90,000, so you're in the ballpark.

Timing belt replacement is commonly done at all full-service garages; there is no need to pay dealer prices and install genuine parts, the aftermarket parts are quite satisfactory.

Old 06-29-13, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Example of an aftermarket kit that includes tensioner hardware and water pump (typically replaced when doing timing belt):

2003-2012 Honda Accord Timing Belt Kit - Engine Mechanical - Aisin 03-12 Accord Timing Belt Kit - 5986-05239568 - PartsGeek

I would have to check with a garage to see what the flat rate time is on the job, but likely 3-4 hours. Say 4 hours @ $100/hr (which is a pretty high labor rate, at least around here). Add in the parts and miscellaneous stuff and I wouldn't expect the job to go over $800. If the belt breaks, you'll be spending more than that just for a replacement cylinder head, never mind the labor and miscellaneous.

First thing I would do is seek out a good independent full-service garage. Ask friends and relatives; somebody will know a really good one. First thing they will probably do is check all the exterior belts for condition, cleanliness, and proper tension. They will also be able to tell you if the tiiming belt is a likely source of the noise.

FWIW, my daughters car ('95 Corolla 4 cylinder) has a similar noise I've been chasing for a while; same suspects - ps, ac, etc. The timing belt only has about 50,000 miles since I changed it, so I'm not prepared yet to go that route. Of course the difference is her engine is non-interference, so no cost beyond new belt and hardware if it goes south. I've had it in mind to bend the ear of my favorite wrench-turner, but never seem to remember when I'm by there.

Old 06-29-13, 11:04 AM
D
Thank you the_tow_guy,

I'll take my car to other full service garage and have them look. And thank you for the link for Timing Belt Kit. I'll order them once I get second opinion.

Thank you again and have a good rest of the weekend...appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: