2002 ford explorer not getting any power no start

Old 06-29-13, 03:30 PM
2002 ford explorer not getting any power no start

i have a 2002 ford explorer, my mother was driving it, parked it ran inside and came back out to start it and she heard a vacuum sound but it wouldent turn over. she had a friend look at it he said it was the starter. i went over and tryed to look at it for myself. i turned the key and i heard a POP sound and all the power went out. no windows, lights, beeps, seats... nothing. so i checked the battery terminals and the negative was extreamly hot. i disconnected the battery and left it cool off and tryed to hook it back up, but i cannot get any power. looking for any ideas as to what happend

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-13, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

If the negative was hot then that's the most likely area of your problem. Could be where the wire attaches to the terminal. If the battery terminals are dirty or corroded.....start there.

A test light or meter will be very helpful to trace and test the wiring and connections for opens.

Old 06-29-13, 03:49 PM
there isent much dirt or corrosion on the terminals. i did clean them but there still is just no power at all when connected. i dont have a meter to test it availible, but the battery does have juice in it, enough i should be getting beeps or some lights at least

Old 06-29-13, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
If the negative connection was hot then that means there was not a good connection there.

Old 06-29-13, 04:07 PM
it is clean and they are tight, i just went and looked closely at it, and there are 2-3 individual strands broken outside the exposed part of the negative terminal wire, there is like 50 strands in the cluster would those few little strands be the cause? wouldent seem to me to be enough to give me absolutely no power whatsoever. i was thinking i might have blown a fuse or relay or something along those lines... i am not sure what to test along the wire? its all clean and tightened should be making a good connection.

Old 06-29-13, 04:25 PM
as soon as i place the negative terminal on the battery, the wire starts getting hot, up to 150 degree's within a few seconds and no power going to anything it was on long enough to tighten the bolt and i could smell burning rubber...

Old 06-29-13, 06:05 PM
clean them or replace them and bad connection/high resistance means heat. this is how electric heaters work. no other reason for it. unless its shorted in the battery its self. (or hooked up backwards).

Old 06-29-13, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1) Either the battery is shorted OR
2) whatever you have the positive battery cable hooked to is shorted OR
3) if you have another wire like a radio or something connected to the battery, is shorted.

Old 06-29-13, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
The battery isn't shorted.......the starter is stuck engaged.

Don't leave the battery wire connected.

Search this Thread