chevy sububan wont start

Old 06-30-13, 04:55 PM
Question chevy sububan wont start

I have a 1999 chevy suburban it wont start. ive got fuel up to the motor. ive also taken a sparkplug off and arced it across the motor while trying to start it. I have spark, I have fuel, and the battery is charged. I don't know what else to try.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-13, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
At this point it could be a million things. However, I'll take a stab at it in the dark. have you checked the timing?

How long has it been since it ran?
What did it do the last time it ran?
When did it quit?
Is it flooded? Too much gas, not enough gas? Fuel pressure?
Enough spark?
What do you mean it wont start? It wont turn over? It turns over slow? Fast? Does it back fire? Change plugs lately or anything like that?

Tell us about the vehicle itself. Engine, transmission? New Parts? Recent work done on the vehicle, engine or tranny?

Old 06-30-13, 05:20 PM
Any codes ? What if you spray starter fluid into the throttle body?

If you have spark & fuel all you need is compression and timing.

Old 06-30-13, 05:49 PM
i sprayed gas in throttle body

Old 06-30-13, 05:57 PM
I went on vacation for 2 weeks and came back it will turn over like it wants to start but wont I sprayed gas into the throttle body it still wont start. im not sure about pressure. I don't think its flodded. the plugs look ok.

Old 06-30-13, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If its not backfiring & it wont start, then its not likely that the timing moved just a little. If it moved, it move quite a bit. Since its not turning over really fast, we know the timing chain/belt hasn't broke.
If it has weak spark, your coil is probably bad.
If your not getting enough gas, either you have a weak fuel pump, or you got carburetor or injector problems depending on your engine. If your getting too much gas, again, you may have carburetor trouble. You could have some bad gas, but not likely unless its really bad.
You haven't mentioned any unusual sounds like a blown head gasket etc....
Again, without much more info, its hard to diagnose the problem.

Old 07-02-13, 03:56 AM
take some carb spray and spray into throttle body and see if it trys to start.......next get a test light and connect to battery negative and remove plug wire and place probe about 1/2 inch away and see if good spark or buy an inexpensive spark tester from local autoparts store.how can you spray gas into throttle body?use carb spray or even propane....that is what I use.these systems have a lot of fuel issues.let me know results.looked at a lot of these cpi systems.

Old 07-03-13, 05:16 AM
I have had a couple that acted this way and a new set of plugs cured the problem.

Search this Thread