No Audio - 2011 Kia SOUL... Blown Fuse? Engine Compartment Fuse Puller?

Old 07-01-13, 07:49 AM
No Audio - 2011 Kia SOUL... Blown Fuse? Engine Compartment Fuse Puller?

Good morning,

I have a 2011 Kia SOUL. Currently, I am not getting any sound from the speakers. The issue is consistent regardless of the sound input (FM, AM, Satellite, MP3, or CD). The display indicates all formats are being read and working properly there's simply no audio. When I turn the volume knob up, I can hear a faint high-pitched sound.

I assume this is probably a fuse that has blown. I've checked the fuses in the compartment to the left of the steering column without success. I want to also check the fuses located in the engine compartment. However, I can't seem to locate a fuse puller in the vehicle that fits the larger square shaped cartridge style fuses in that box.

Can anyone tell me where it is and/or what it looks like? Also, has anyone had a similar issue and could it be caused by something entirely different?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-13, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I couldn't find the exact location for the fuse you are looking for but it should be labeled AMP 25A. Look in the owners manual. It will most likely be a standard plastic fuse.

Old 07-01-13, 11:55 AM
AMP 25A looks to be intact as do all the others that could be related to audio output. I still need to check the box in the engine compartment. Do you happen to know how to properly pull those larger fuses? I cant find the puller... Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-01-13, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
If they are like the big ones in my vehicles....you just grab with your fingers and wiggle while pulling up. Carefully using a pair of pliers has been necessary a few times.

Old 07-01-13, 12:17 PM
Ok. I'll give it a shot. Thought about doing that at first, but i didn't want to cause any damage. There are two larger types, both square. One is about the size of a dime and the other is about like a quarter or a half dollar. It does look like you could pull them straight up and out with your fingers.

Old 07-01-13, 04:38 PM
Are you mistaking relays for fuses?

I don't think a fuse is the problem, sounds like a program source switching fault.

Is there a CD stuck in the unit by any chance?

Old 07-01-13, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
Usually the larger units are relays and circuit breakers.
Your audio system should be on a regular checkable fuse.....not a circuit breaker.

Old 07-02-13, 07:37 AM
Apologies, I misspoke... Yes, the larger components I mentioned are relays.

There is no CD stuck in the player. In fact, when you insert a disc, the display shows the album details, the counter indicates it is playing and I am able to skip forward and backward through the tracks; just no audio. What is a Program Source Switching Fault and more importantly, is it something I can fix on my own?

I have checked each fuse that matches those noted 'Audio' in the car's user manual and none appear to be blown. Should I replace them anyway and see if that works? Should I check ALL the fuses just in case even though the manual doesn't indicate they have anything to do with the audio system?

Thank you all for your assistance.

Old 07-02-13, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
You can check across each fuse with a test light but it would appear that your amp may not be functioning.

Old 07-02-13, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I think if it was a fuse I'd have found it so you're probably right. I've made a service appointment to have it looked at this week. There's a limit to my DIY abilities and I think this problem surpasses it. Thanks.

Old 07-02-13, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Have to ask...is it still in or close to the end of the warranty? If it recently expired they may still help.

Newer cars route a lot of functions through the entertainment systems (if it's factory), messing with the wrong thing could cause other issues.

Old 07-02-13, 09:52 AM
I bought it just over 2 years ago in late may of 2011. I'm sure the warranty is in effect to some degree, but I'd have to go research whether this particular area is/was covered.

I definitely don't want to mess with anything I'm not 100% sure about for that very reason.

Old 07-02-13, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
It will be covered if you are below 36K miles according to Kia. Still may work with you if this is your regular dealer.

Old 07-02-13, 10:10 AM
I'm at 28K right now, so that's good to know. This is my regular dealer as well. I have a service plan with them and have had all maintenance performed there since it was purchased.

Old 07-02-13, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator
Good deal! You should have no problems....unless they need to replace part of the system. I've heard horror stories about the delays in replacing entertainment system parts.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-13, 12:27 PM
Thanks again for your input everyone. Turns out the entire audio unit was bad. It was replaced yesterday morning and fully covered by the factory warranty. I KNEW I hadn't missed a bad fuse. :-D