1998 Subaru Impreza AWD 5spd ,Jumps out of gear

Old 07-04-13, 05:29 PM
1998 Subaru Impreza AWD 5spd ,Jumps out of gear

I have a 98 Subaru Impreza AWD 5spd,and it jumps out of 4th gear no matter what,5th when you let off the gas and 3rd whenever it feels like it.It was already jumping out of 4th occasionally when the clutch went out and we replaced the Clutch,Pressure Plate,Throw out bearing and Pilot bearing,everything seemed fine but 4th gear started jumping out more often.My husband took off one morning and was in reverse but thought he was in 1st,he wasn't going really fast but fast enough that you could have "drift started",after that is when 3rd and 5th started jumping out and also the speedometer and odometer quit working..We have a lot of money in this car and when it stays in gear it runs perfectly,Please help with any idea's on how to fix this.

I do want to add that my father has a 1997 Subaru Legacy wagon AWD 5spd that is doing the same thing,jumping out of gears,his is mainly 1st,& 4th.He did not to my knowledge replace his clutch or anything,his just started jumping out of gear out of the blue.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 08:43 PM
first quess is it out of gear oil?. second is something got bent/broke and is tearing other stuff up as the metal is circulated.

Old 07-05-13, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've had this happen with various transmissions - always ones that were wore slap out. The new clutch shouldn't have anything to do with it slipping out of gear. I suspect a new/used transmission will be needed sooner or later.

Old 07-05-13, 05:57 AM
Iceman covered my first area to check.
The next would be the shifter cable(s) adjustments and actual cables.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Subarus.
With the dodges (more specifically the inline 4 cylinder SRTs), the shifting gates can and do need to be adjusted over time. Without doing so, the shifter may only be partly entering the selected gears. On cars that have been driven hard (hard shifting really), the cables can do what is known as "bird caging". This is where the cable is pushed and pulled, causing it to open up and look like a bird cage. If this happens, it's a cable replacement.
Adjusting the shifter cables on the dodges are fairly easy (requires a star screw driver only if I remember correctly). You might have to do a google search to see how it is done on the Subarus.

If those items are not the issue, you may have more serious gear box issues.

Edit:
A quick google search (used "subaru jumping") yielded a number of sites (forum posts) regarding jumping out of gear.
One was a 99 Forester (same gear box I believe as the Impreza) and the general direction they took was tranny mount gone bad or shifter bushing (similar concept to what I was on with my original thought).
This quote might be the ticket;
Originally Posted by http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/5-speed-jumps-out-gear-19110/
It's the BIG bushing directly above the exhaust pipe at the end of the lower shifter rod. It's a 2.5" diameter circular bushing. You'll crawl under the car and see 2 rods heading to the transmission. Grab ahold of the lower rod and try to wiggle it. If there seems to be a LOT of slop, then it's likely that big bushing.

Last edited by Northern Mike; 07-05-13 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 09:43 AM
Well it has plenty of gear oil,and the cables all seem fine,we have also replaced the shift linkage bushing's.So I am hopeing that maybe it is the mounts,but I'm not sure that would make the speedometer not work,but if we can get it to stay in gear that is the most important,I'll worry about speed when I see blue lights in the rearveiw..haha. Thank's guys,I will update when and if we ever get this fixed

Old 07-05-13, 10:26 AM
Is it the entire gauge cluster or just the speedo?

Hope it's just the mount and not the gears.
I noticed in my quick google search that the gear jumping issue was across many models of that time period (both North American and Europe). Must have been a design flaw or something.

Old 07-06-13, 08:33 AM
It's just the speedometer & the odometer that aren't working,all the other gauges work fine.I think these have a speed sensor located around the transmission,and I think when my husband didn't realise the car was in reverse and coasted down our driveway forwards and let out on the clutch,it must have broken a cable maybe or messed up the sensor. I've done a lot of research on this car,but I hadn't realised that the jumping out of gear thing was so common.

Old 07-06-13, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the speedo work after the clutch was replaced? I don't know much about the electronic speedos but the old cable driven ones shouldn't get hurt by taking off in the wrong gear. If the speedo hasn't worked since the clutch job then something was either damaged or not reconnected at that time.