I am getting very poor mileage on my new Honda Accord (4 cylinder 2012) sedan.

Old 07-05-13, 02:37 PM
I am getting very poor mileage on my new Honda Accord (4 cylinder 2012) sedan.

I just returned from the Honda Service people who did absolutely nothing for me. I told them that I have had very poor mileage that I have been documenting. I also have black soot in my exhaust pipe and putting these two symptoms together I surmised that my Honda is running rich which would indicate the O2 sensors and the Catalytic Converter. I asked them to check these things and I am not an easy push over. They likey ran a few diagnostics but refused to do more. That was 7 hours of wasted time. I called a mechanic friend and he suggested change gasoline from Arco to Chevron or Mobile. Also, know that my oil has been changed after 4000 miles with pure systhetic two days before I took it in today. Even though I have owned the car for about a year (purchased late August 2012) the gas mileage has been very poor after about 6 weeks; it was great before that and has progressively gotten worse. I talked to the head mechanic, the service manager and 4-5 other people and like robots they just said the same thing--your car is fine. They tried to blame the oil, saying it was topped too high and caused the soot (even after I said it was just changed only 2 days prior and the problem is about 10 months old; also, that just doesn't made mechanical sense ).

I am pretty frustrated. I thought Honda got great gas mileage. I looked online and many people are complaining about this very problem for this model. Any suggestions besides neck-wringing of the service dept. personnel? Necks have been wrung. I hate to try the more expensive gas but if that is the cause is might pay off. The idea of breaking in after 45,000 miles to correct the problem which was suggested on this thread seems horrifying. I put on about 5,000 a year (freeway miles) and that would take about 9 years!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
I moved your post to it's own thread as all problems are different. The 45K miles was probably a mistype.....likely meant 4500.

You absolutely should try the different gas...even if just a few tanks. If no improvement...than thats not the issue.

Unfortunately...most dealers (and many mechanics in general) plug in the computer download the codes and say..."nothing wrong". They don't hook up the equipment to the tailpipe and computer for real time info and do a test drive.

You haven't said exactly how much of a decrease and how many miles were driven over the time you noticed it. If you've owned it for almost a year and only have about 4000 miles...your trips must be relatively short even if they are freeway.

I have to say...many people baby a new car as they adjust to it, then start driving more normally or aggressively as they learn the limits. 2 or 3 mpg isn't a big deal for that sort of thing.

Old 07-05-13, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You didn't say exactly what your gas mileage was then and now? Are you keeping any type of written book record on it, showing this degradation?

Old 07-06-13, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
How does your mileage compare to the sticker?

Another way of asking what kind of mileage are you actually getting

Old 07-14-13, 08:12 AM
you should only need to use the gas recommended by the manufacturer for your car (e.g. regular, not premium). don't let them pawn that off on you as the solution.

definitely report back on your current mileage. make sure you are calculating by hand and not trusting any onboard computer to tell you.

Old 07-15-13, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
make sure you are calculating by hand and not trusting any onboard computer to tell you
Absolutely. I have kept track in Excel with my current car and my actual mileage is 2.1 mpg below what the car tells me I've been getting.