4wd issues

Old 07-09-13, 06:56 AM
4wd issues

Hi All,

Problem has come up with our 2003 Ford Explorer. It has the auto, 4hi and 4lo switch on the dash. When driving the 4wd hi dash light flashes 5 times and then stays off for a while then will flash again 5 times. Will do this sporadically whenever you drive the vehicle. When you press the 4hi button you can tell the 4wd does not engage. I know the flashes means there is an issue with it. Anyone have any ideas where to start or what is the most common place to start. Also, I haven't tried it yet but I am wondering if the problem only exists in 4 hi or if 4 lo would not work either. The 4 lo light is not flashing. I am afraid to try it as I don't want it to engage and not come out of it or something. Thx for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
From memory there are things you need to check...

On that vehicle there is a motor in the transfer case that engages it.. Most often the electrical connection there is bad. You need to test that connection and make sure you are getting proper voltage.

The transfer case motors worm gear strips too. May need new motor... Easy to replace...

The above would be the most probably...

After that all the rest is vacuum actuated. Check all vacuum lines to case and under the hood to the front axle actuator...

The motor looks like this and is on the case.

Here is a good vid....But like I said you may not be getting power to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1PPf2Yzhjmw#at=97

Old 07-09-13, 07:36 AM
Also doing a search it looks like there are some hall effect switches as well that may be bad. Do you know if there are any on the Explorer?

Old 07-09-13, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
I dont know of any hall effect switches on a 4 wheel drive system...Ford, chevy, dodge

Can you link to that info?????

Old 07-09-13, 07:53 AM
Old 07-09-13, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
I read that and dont think thats is, or has anything to do with the 4 wheel drive... Thats sounds like a ABS break sensor and that poster has no clue.

Post # 8 there is the guy that makes sense...

Is yours stuck in 4 wheel and does not go into 2 wheel? Turn the steering right or left on hard pavement cause the wheels to bind?

*** dont do that too much if so or you can damage the yokes and have an expensive repair....

Old 07-09-13, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info I'll check out what you suggested. I don't believe it is in 4wd now. We never put it in 4wd except in winter so when the light flashed we tried hitting 4wd hi button but it didn't engage. I pulled a camper with it over the weekend and was turning the wheels both ways on pavement to back in and nothing felt out of the ordinary.

Old 07-09-13, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fords are probably different, but on my Dodge Ram (vacuum), the hubs will stay engaged until you back up a couple of feet to release the tension, once you are in 4wd.