flashing a commputer/ecm

Old 07-10-13, 03:03 PM
flashing a commputer/ecm

Anyone know how to do this. I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus that I changed plugs, oil, and trans fluid and when I put it back together, I had no spark to the coils. I was told that on certain Chryslers/dodges you have to flash the ECM. I have changed the crank sensor, cam sensor and been back over all the connections and everything else I did and cannot find anything wrong. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Takes a scanner to do that, often dealer-only. You might try getting a reader on it to see if any codes pop up. For the service types you performed you shouldn't need to do anything post-maintenance.

Old 07-10-13, 04:23 PM
usually dealer will have a tsb on issue and a program would be written and available from dealer website for a subscription cost and a J2534 reprogrammer hardware.anyone can buy this tool about 1000 dollars plus dealer subscription for software download.
you did not have any problems before you changed plugs,oil,trans fluid?You have no spark......do you have injection pulses?that is if injectors are accessible.....with a test light or a noid light.what size engine?

Old 07-10-13, 04:30 PM
2.4 or 2.7? 8th vin either a r or a t if a 2.7L or 2.4L?

Old 07-10-13, 06:43 PM
It is a 2.7. I have scanned it and it has no codes.

Old 07-10-13, 08:04 PM
what is the 8th vin?probably r. t was a flex fuel.Is this sedan or coupe?

Old 07-11-13, 04:24 AM
It is a sedan, and not flex fuel.

Old 07-11-13, 03:40 PM
sorry so long to get back to you.during crank see if you got B+ on injectors DG/LG wires and coil on plug ignition coils DG/LG wires.computer may not be seing the crank/cam signal.....On this vehicle I think it has to see both cam and crank signals before grounding asd relay.these are both hall effect sensors.You stated no spark to all ignition coils.....fuel pressure?injector pulses?take a test light hooked to battery negative and probe the injector control wire and ignition control wires and see if computer is grounding.the test light should flash.I would first see if you are receiving B+ to ignition coils and injectors during crank on the DG/LG wires.

Old 07-11-13, 07:50 PM
I haven't checked the injectors, but I am not getting any signal to the ign. plugs( LG/DG) wires. I have checked for a + signal with a test light clipped to the neg bat term and checked for a ground w the test light hooked to the + bat term. OBTW, thanx for the help so far!

Old 07-12-13, 04:50 AM
have you checked your fuses?there are several that tie into asd circuit.fuse 14/24/25.check for voltage to injectors.did you have problem before you changed plugs oil trans fluid?

Old 07-12-13, 06:40 AM
Wish I had been on here more over the last few days. Been way too busy.

Off the hop, no flashing of the PCM or what they probably meant, reset the adaptive learning on the PCM, is required.
Most of the sensors mentioned are not actually used until the engine hits running temp (close loop).

Starting from the begining...
Only changed a couple fluids and the plugs, and now no spark?
Was the sensors changed at the same time or after the fact?

Quickly going over the posts in the thread, I see all sorts of crazy stuff, but not the questions and answers I'm looking for.

Here are the critical questions to answer....
- Did it start without issues prior to the maintenance? If issues, describe.
- What plugs did you install and did you gap them to the proper spec (not as critical on naturally asperated engines, but I have seen some plugs way out to lunch)?
- When you first tried starting the car after the maintenance, how did you do it and what exactly happen? (i.e turned key to run possition, heard/didn't hear fuel pump; turned key to start straight away, starter turned over, only clicked, didn't make any noise; while starter was turning over, it tried to start, didn't try to start, sounded odd...)
Have you pulled the plugs you just installed to see what they look like now?
Did you keep the old plugs around? If so, did you put them back in to test?
Being a 2.7l with individual coil packs, when doing the plugs, did you unplug the packs while changing the plugs?

Back to the reset adaptive bit for a second (although not applicable to this issue)...
Older (90's and early to mid 2000's) engines are easy to reset the adaptive without a dealer visit. Most dodge engines can have their addaptive reset by disconnecting the two battery cables, touching them together (or use a wire as I normally do) and leaving them there for 10-20 minutes. I'll also turn the key to the start position for a couple seconds just to remove all capacitance from the system.
Some of the larger dodge engines (mostly 2000-2010 year range) are even quicker to reset their addaptive. Most or all LX chassi cars (and some of the 4.7l? trucks), you simply pull the PCM fuse, and with the door closed and seat belt buckled, turn the key to the run position and wait for 2 chimes. Once you hear the two chimes, replace the fuse and you are done.

Edit:
To flash the firmware on your PCM (dodge and VW specifically), you'll require a StarScan tool or one of two other tools (excluding engineer equipment), and access to the dealer only site). Again, really, really not required for this.

Old 07-12-13, 09:39 AM
there is a lot of flashing reprogramming pcms ect to counter glitches found in systems after vehicles made.can tweek things.There is a ground near egr solenoid g104.....maybe disturbed it when doing plugs.main computer grounds are very important.had to disturb something when doing things.

Old 07-12-13, 09:56 AM
there is a lot of flashing reprogramming pcms ect to counter glitches found in systems after vehicles made.can tweek things.There is a ground near egr solenoid g104.....maybe disturbed it when doing plugs.main computer grounds are very important.had to disturb something when doing things.
Grounds on an older (5yrs plus) is a good maintenance point to look at. Coming from the dodge side (owned too many in my short driving time), the ground straps are cheap and the connection points questionable on many vehicles. My wife's 07 Grand Caravan is a prime example.

I understand that yes, updates do exist and do come out after production, but rarely are the updates a solution for starting issues, especially on the early to mid 2000's.

One question I should have asked the OP (which I don't see anyone else asking), is how they confirmed no spark.
Looking through a dozen or so google images of the stratus 2.7l engine bay, there isn't a lot of metal near by to ground the rod of the plug. Particularly with the short leash on the coil packs.

I'm really thinking we're chasing the wrong problem, but without some basic questions answered, this can't be confirmed or proven wrong.

Side note (slightly off topic): I've picked through the workings of both the first and second gen Neons back when I was younger, and now working on the Caliber SRT4. The stratus is a cake walk compared to the Caliber SRT4. Dodge spent more time and effort locking that computer down then any other company have or would.

Old 07-12-13, 10:57 AM
Decided to take my lunch and did a quick google search for "2.7l Stratus won't start".
Nothing consistant popped up, so there doesn't appear to be a single known issue that causes this.
Of the results that came up, a few items where noted (which may or may not be the case, missing too much info).
- One indicated (and confirmed) they had a blown fuse. Didn't specify which fuse but I think I remember the post saying it turned over.
- One poster suggested the coolant temp sensor was an issue when doing short trips. PCM was getting bad readings and as a result, was giving not enough fuel to start (didn't see it confirmed as an issue in that thread)
- One suggested it being a leaking injector(s), flooding the cylender. Didn't see any confirmation of this being valid, nor do I think it would keep it from sputtering to a start with 5 other cylenders trying to fire.

I still stand behind my questions of knowing how it was exactly acting, and what did the plugs look like after trying.
Fuses sound plausable with no real info from the OP. Would be a kick in the knees if it was a $0.25 fuse.

Old 07-13-13, 05:01 AM
tom,martin,

I'm inclined to agree with autojoe, but I see your no spark problem all the time. Most times it's just as simple as a wire connection issue or a crank sensor problem, or sometimes it's both a crank sensor problem and a cam sensor problem. Other times it's an "ASD Relay" problem. Only thing is many times it can be a much bigger problem and much more involved. Rather than try to explain it all to you, see the link below.

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/1xne...-no-spark.html

Thank You
Amy