98 Jimmys' Blower Motor wires get really hot to the touch??

Old 07-10-13, 05:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
98 Jimmys' Blower Motor wires get really hot to the touch??

Hi.
I was just trying to figure out why my blower motor wires are so hot to the touch. Could it be because of the ground wire not grounded out properly? What should I ground it to. I did it to the body, but that didn't help. I don't want anything to catch fire
thanx for the help in advance
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 39 Posts
First thing you can try is removing all the connections and cleaning them. This can be a real chore on some connectors as it will be hard to get at the contacts themselves. Next item, very carefully try to close up the "ears" in the female side of the connector so that they will more tightly grip the male spade terminal when it's plugged back in. Check the socket for the fuse for looseness as well. It's also possible, given the age, that your blower is worn out and drawing excess juice. Quite a while back, the blower fuse in my wrecker used to get ouch-hot, even started to melt the plastic around the fuse plug in. Finally had to bypass the fuse panel setup and install an inline fuse holder. Also did the connector cleaning routine/tightening and haven't had any problems lately other than wearing out the blowers (on my 3rd one @ 630,000 miles, so they last for a while).

Old 07-10-13, 06:11 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good chance you have some rust in the cowl or a leaky windshield that's letting water into your blower housing. A rusty bearing will load the motor enough to heat the wires, burn out the speed resistors, and eventually...maybe...blow the fuse.

When you turn on the fan--high--does it spring to life or take longer to spin up than it used to?

Old 07-10-13, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Can also listen to it when it runs down when turned off to see if you either hear any noises or that it sounds like it comes to a stop fairly quickly instead freewheeling to a stop. If it needs replacing, hopefully it's cheaper than the $100 I spend on mine.

Old 07-10-13, 07:11 PM
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
I would think that any electrical circuit would blow a fuse before the wiring caught fire ....

Is the fuse that is in the circuit the correct value? Does the motor run correctly?

The only way the wires would get hot under normal conditions is if they had been flexed often and some of the strands inside were broken.

Old 07-11-13, 02:13 AM
T
I replaced this blower motor about two years ago, so it's not that old really. I'll check all the connections this weekend and see if that is the problem.
Thanx

Old 07-11-13, 02:16 AM
T
Hey guy48065.

Don't see any rust of any sign of water getting anywhere close to it. And when I turn it on, it comes right on fast. Doesn't sound like any spinning issues. However, what made me look at this was the motor itself made a deep hum when I turned it on the other day. Then, after playing with the wires, it stopped, but wires still getting hot

Old 07-11-13, 06:05 AM
G
Timmer,
Trace those wires or search the net for where your resistor pack is located & see if that's where it's most sensitive to being wiggled. The resistor pack is often mounted right to the wall of the blower box so the airflow will keep it cool so look there first. Because of the reaction to wiggling it is sounding more like a loose or corroded connection--but that connection could be on a harness connector, on the resistor pack connector, resistor leads, thermal breaker that's sometimes a part of the resistor assembly, or the blower motor wire or ground.
Do all fan speeds work always?

Last edited by guy48065; 07-11-13 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 06:11 AM
G
Looked at eBay for the resistor ass'y. One listing (there are hundreds) is item no. 110998136097
Looks like 3 wire resistors & 2 thermal breakers--plenty of components to give trouble ;-)

Old 07-11-13, 06:34 PM
T
Yes guy48065. Fan works great still. Blows good, etc...just the wires getting hot. But like I said earlier...it might be the fact that the ground wire isn't attached to anything. So I kinda wedged it between two pieces of metal from the truck body for now and see what happens. Where would this ground wire from the blower motor, usually go?
Thanx again
Tim

Old 07-11-13, 07:10 PM
G
I guess I didnt catch in your first post that a wire is just hanging. I thought you just susoected it might be the problem.

Old 07-11-13, 07:14 PM
T
Ok..no worries guy48065. I hope it is. Will find out when I have time this weekend

Old 07-12-13, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't think the ground would go directly to a local grounding point; I would have expected it to be in the mix of wires going to/from blower/harness. Having said that, doesn't really matter as long as it is a good solid ground connection.