Car heating off but extremely hot around my feet

Old 07-14-13, 11:46 AM
Car heating off but extremely hot around my feet

I was driving down a dual carriageway doing a 60mph, but my feet got really hot at one point I had to stop & put hazard lights on when it became unbearable, the fact that it was hot today didn't help. What could be the reason, car heating was definitely not switched on. Vauxhall corsa 2003.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-13, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You'll find us mostly North American based, so forgive us if we don't jive on the terminology.....carriageway.....OK freeway....which aren't "free", so I guess you got us on that one

Vauxhall isn't a run of the mill vehicle here, so only a few guesses. Some of our vehicles have blend doors that move cool and heat into the compartment. Hot water and refrigerant constantly move through the heater core and the air conditioning coil. It is possible you have a stuck blend door forcing all the hot air into the compartment onto your feet. Mostly it is a vacuum line that has failed, but you would need to be able to track it down from under the engine compartment cover......bonnet. See? I used to rebuild TR6's, so I know a few words.

Old 07-15-13, 05:06 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I did a quick google search, and it looks to be a hatchback very similar to a couple General Motor's vehicles we are fimilar with here in North America (a number of Europe cars end up here under a different manufacture name). If I had to guess, it looks a lot like the Geo Metro we use to have running around here. Anyway, totally off topic.

Back on topic... I'm kind of leaning towards it being the control arm inside the dash. A lot of lower end vehicles use a plastic rod attached to the nobs to control the flaps that devide the heat/vent/AC ducts. On some vehicles, the arm or the connection point on the flap would break. I didn't see this pop up as an issue when I did a quick google search. Most results where complaints about the AC not working. Could be an issue with the AC unit, where it ends up circulating uncooled coolant causing the reverse effect. Just an out there guess though.