need help with 2003 malibu surging

Old 07-17-13, 06:16 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help with 2003 malibu surging

Hello. When i crank up the car it runs fine, but if i press the accelarator to the floor it will jump up to around 2500 rpms and then instantly jump back to very low rpms and then right back up. It will keep doing this until i let go of the pedal. Its like when it reaches a certain engine speed that something is causing it to cut it back to idle and then lets it go right back up again and then back down. I don't have to do anything except crank it up, and press the pedal to the floor and it will rev up to about half of what the rpm should be and then right back down over and over,without letting foot off of pedal. I tried spraying and cleaning the maf sensor with crc maf cleaner but did not help. One other thing is that i was driving it the other day and was going about 30 mph coming up to a stoplight and when i let off the gas it cut off for some reason , but when i stopped at the light and put in park it cranked right back up. Please anyone help with this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-13, 06:20 AM
A
must have a rev limiter inside the computer....will not let you do this at idle.i assume this is happening at idle in park?

Old 07-17-13, 06:25 AM
O
yes it does this when i crank it up and in park, would this affect the driving performance. What would fix this?

Old 07-17-13, 06:48 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I am assuming (hoping) this is while the car is in gear and moving?

If this happens while moving, at what speeds and gears have you confirmed this to be an issue?
I'd almost suspect its a tranny issue.

Could also be spark blowby. Had this happen on my summer car when I changed the fuel and timing maps. I didn't watch the gauges the last time it happen though to see how the RPMs moved.

Have you changed/gapped the plugs recently? Might be worth the few minutes of time to do that now.

Edit:
Got tied up while writing this post.

NEW post:
It's more then likely a governor.
You shouldn't rev an engine in park (specially WOT) unless you are looking to pop something.

Old 07-17-13, 05:41 PM
A
why are you reving up in park?

Old 07-18-13, 04:48 PM
O
Sorry guys for wasting your time on the surging thing. I did'nt realize that it had a limiter on it. Its my daughters car and she had mentioned that it would cut off while driving. I had cranked it and just pressed the pedal just a little to see how it was taking the gas, and thats when i noticed the surging. I just did'nt know that was normal. (Shows my age) Now if i could figure out what is causing it to just cut off while driving down the road. She told me today that it cut off 2 times with her, once when she came up to a stop sign and stopped, and once while she was driving at 50 mph. But each time she had to put the car in park switch it off and then back on and it cranked right up with no problem. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the anti theft light that came on about 2 months ago. The light came on and stays lit up all the time now as soon as its cranked up til its cut off.

Old 07-18-13, 06:44 PM
A
first of all you should not have to touch the gas pedal for starting.....so many things can cause stalling.how many miles on car?when was last tuneup?stalling at 50mph.....did it stall during acceleration or de-acceleration?how is starting?have to touch gas pedal?any other problems?what size engine?

Old 07-19-13, 05:42 AM
O
I do not have to touch the gas pedal, I only reved it up a little not to the floor when i was checking it. The car has 134,000 miles. Last tune up was about a year ago, but only plugs and wires,new air filter. Starting has always been ok although it does most of the time take about 2 -3 seconds to fire up, but after doing some online research i have found this to be fairly common with the 2003 malibu for some reason. It seems that most often the car cuts off as you are de-accelerating as if coming up to a stop light, but then again my daughter says that it cuts off sometime while just cruising along at 50-55 mph. When i drove it it did not cut off til i started back home and it did not sputter or act like it was out of gas, it was just like you switched it off. When i coasted to a stop,put it in park, switched it off, then switched it back on and cranked it right up and got back home just fine. The malibu has a 3.1l v6 engine and its got lots of power and runs good and does not use any oil between changes. The transmission also works good.

Old 07-19-13, 06:52 AM
A
when stalls why dont you shift from drive to neutral and restart?a dirty throttle body/or gunked up iac can stalling during decel.....also carbon buildup on valves causing a lean condition which would also cause a little more time to start because carbon absorbs fuel.I would put some techron Techron/20 oz. fuel system cleaner 67540....cost about 13 bucks here.works good.I add it to my trailblazer every 3000 miles.cleans injectors/valves.open butterfly on throttle body and see in any deposits and also remove iac motor and see if pintle and air bypass channel clean.....clean both with carb cleaner.if it is not a decel stall problem theres so many thing could cause this......mainly electrical/electronic.......anything from ignition switch....fuel pump......ignition module......pcm....ect....it could be ignition/fuel/sensor computer.......testing individual systems to isolate the problem is very difficult and have proper diagnostic equipment.intermittents are very hard and try to duplicate the problem while all testing equipment is hooked up to boot.you give vehicle back to customer and then it acts up.also wanted to add that I assume this is a dis ignition system.....a weak crank sensor can cause an extended crank condition...i have seen this on gm vehicles.the carbon buildup on valves also.....carbon buildup on valves would cause high compression.I stated above about cleaning throttle body I assume this is not drive by wire where it has no throttle cable....i dont think so.....newer gms have this.....have to be careful with cleaning that...heard a man lost part of his finger tech had key on and was cleaning throttle body and another tech turned key aff and there is a motor or actuator that controls butterfly and it closed and took off finger.just some thoughts.hope this makes sense....if it does this under a load condition you may have to see if you are losing fuel pressure/losing voltage to coil primary.....?bad ignition switch....I wish i could be more help.

Last edited by autojoe; 07-19-13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 06:55 AM
A
wanted to add.....a cam or crank signal that is lost could cause this also.you dont want to go replacing parts because the last thing you replace will be it.would get expensive.do you have any testing equipment?multimeter?

Old 07-19-13, 07:16 AM
O
thanks autojoe, i have a mutimeter and a cheap scan tool from harbor freight, but there are no codes showing up. thanks

Old 07-19-13, 09:27 AM
A
would have to see if losing fuel/spark?see if happens during accel/decel/or both?

Old 07-22-13, 11:23 PM
S
A "governor" or rev limiter is unlikely. A car, in any gear should be able to be revved to redline until that redline limiter ( on this new of car) is activated and limits over revving. 2500 rpm limiter is again unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if the problems are related. I'm betting flaky maf or dying cps.

Old 07-23-13, 05:03 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
A "governor" or rev limiter is unlikely. A car, in any gear should be able to be revved to redline until that redline limiter ( on this new of car) is activated and limits over revving. 2500 rpm limiter is again unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if the problems are related. I'm betting flaky maf or dying cps.
The late 90's and early 2000's GM vehicles where pretty heavily governed. I would not doubt that the Malibu had a parking switch connected govenor. Nutral would be a different story, but I do not suggest WOT with no load on the car.

(I should note, govenor by-pass circuits paid some of my rent back in the late 90's early 2000's. GM owners where my biggest clients. Can't race the 1/4 mile track when governed at 160-175kmph).