Oil Pan Gasket

Old 07-23-13, 09:30 AM
Oil Pan Gasket

2008 Toyota Matrix leaking a small amount of oil after oil change at Firestone. Took it back and was told that the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced. Part costs $16.32 and labor is $234.00 at $90.00 per hour for a total of $250.32 plus tax and of course the cost of another oil change. This seems high to me but I know nothing about car repairs. What does everyone here think? I appreciate your input. Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-13, 09:40 AM
Not too fimiliar with the Matrix, but 2.5 hours does sound like a long time. I know on my wife's van and my car (both Dodge), I could probably do the job in that amount of time using ramps in the driveway. A hoist would be much easier and quicker.

Old 07-23-13, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
I'm sure the costs are about right. My only question would be...how soon after the oil change did you notice it? If the next day or 2...then you shouldn't have to pay for another oil change because they should have seen it and told you of the problem. If it was a few weeks or so..maybe not. You sure didn't need another filter if they charged for that.

I always have a real issue with problems that crop up right after a simple maintenance procedure. On a relatively new car oil pan gaskets just don't start leaking. Mine are 12 and 9 yrs old and neither one leak after 145K and 75K respectively.

I had a similar thing after an oil change at a big chain before wifey went on a trip. When she came back, I noticed oil spots where she parks. Put it off til next change and asked my independent shop to see if they could spot a leak. Told me it might be a couple of things but they'd need to go more in depth. No time right then so I just said change the oil and filter and I'll bring it back later. Guess what....no more drips! Apparently the old filter wasn't tight enough or had a gasket issue.

Old 07-23-13, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm with Vic, if it didn't leak prior to the oil change - I suspect it's something they've done - loose or cross threaded plug or loose filter. I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.

Old 07-23-13, 10:11 AM
Vic, not sure if these gaskets going would fall under continuous work for the shop or poor quality materials.
My wife's van had one apparently go bad in 09 (van is an 07 low mileage at that time). Was under warranty, so I didn't look into it and let it get done.

I'm with Vic, if it didn't leak prior to the oil change - I suspect it's something they've done - loose or cross threaded plug or loose filter. I'd at least get a 2nd opinion.
I was thinking this as well. Many times these oil shops use the first filter listed for the vehicle, which may not be the correct one for that engine size. Happens all the time with our van.

Old 07-23-13, 10:44 AM
Particularly when considering that oil pan gasket failures are not all that common, I would park it over night with a piece of cardboard under the engine compartment, and confirm where the leak actually is. There are other places, but the three most likely areas in my mind would be the oil filter, drain plug, and oil pan. If it does turn out to be the oil pan gasket, you would have to get another estimte, locally, to be sure, but, not knowing that vehicle specifically, the price does not surprise me. In order to clear the crank journals, oil pickup, and other components, engine mounts often need to be loosed, and the engine raised, rocked, or otherwise shifted, in order for the pan to be removed.

Old 07-23-13, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
I also say get a second opinion..... Also if it is indeed the pan, the shop may be shady and possibly loosened a bolt or two...

I have had cars where simply re torquing the bolts stopped the leak...

Old 07-23-13, 11:46 AM
Oil Pan Gasket

Thank you all so much for your replies. I noticed the leak about three days after the oil change was done. Firestone said that the oil filter was tight and the plug was ok but that they could see a little seepage around the oil pan gasket. The reason I went to Firestone in the first place was to purchase two tires. They put on the tires, balanced both tires and did a front end alignment(they advised it was needed). Two days later I noticed the car pulling to the right and a vibration coming up through the steering wheel and I could see the passenger seat shaking. I don't know much but I know that when a car pulls to the right or left it usually means it is out of alignment and when you get shaking or vibration up through the steering wheel and the passenger seat shakes it usually means a tire needs balancing. Never had this problem before the new tires were put on. I took it back, they re-balanced the wheels and said the alignment was fine. The re-balancing of the tires seems to have corrected the problem. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in this Firestone store. I will take it to an independent mechanic as you suggested for another opinion. Thank you again for your replies. Kathy

Old 07-23-13, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
And please post back with your outcome...