PT power steering pump

Old 07-24-13, 07:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PT power steering pump

Hi All,

Have a 2002 PT cruiser with 38,000 miles on it. A couple weeks ago the power steering pump was making an awful whining. Found a lot of fluid under car and found it was a cracked cooler. I replaced the cooler and everything was fine for about a week or so. Now it seems when the car is cold and sits for a long time when you first start it up the pump whines for a second until you turn the wheel a bit then it goes away and steering is fine. No whine and all once you get past this split second. Just wondering as it has never done this before. Any thoughts. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
From what I remember its usually an air bubble... The proceduce is the turn the steering lock to lock several times to purge out the air...

Also tell us if there is tension in the wheel or chattering when you turn and reach the locks.....

Old 07-24-13, 08:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check your motor and transmission mounts. When the mounts for the 2.4 break the engine can move a lot, and that puts tension on the hoses which can lead to breakages.

Old 07-24-13, 09:38 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
If it was winter, I'd say that was normal. Every V6 and smaller dodge I've owned whined when it was cold for the first second or so. This was only at temps below freezing though, not applicable here.
I'm thinking it could be air as well.