02 Suburban Transmission - 4wd-1500-Z71 package

Old 08-05-13, 03:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
02 Suburban Transmission - 4wd-1500-Z71 package

Drat, Drat and Double Drat - Today is going to cost me some money

Driving down the road today, maybe at 45 mph and suddenly the engine revs and I have NO gears what so ever. No warning, No Sound, No Nothing Just lost all gears - AAA towed it to a transmission shop.

Need to get a crash course as to exactly what could be the problem so I don't get taken to the cleaners in the morning. Any and All suggestions are appreciated, throw the gammit at me so I can at least talk somewhat intelligently to the shop owner.

Old 08-05-13, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Automatic or manual?

Assuming automatic...it could be any number of things..and I don't know enough to tell you what they may be. Loss of fluid? Pump?

Was it upshifting at the time of failure? Did you get any flashing warning lights?

Old 08-05-13, 03:18 PM
Automatic

I may have been accelerating at the time as I have just pulled out into traffic so may have been upshifting. But like I said, no warning, no lights, no nothing - just a rev, and started coasting to a stop. I tried to re-put it in gear as I was coasting so I was from R to N to D to N and back and forth while coasting. Engine itself, purrs like a kitten.

Old 08-11-13, 09:49 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could be something simple like the gear selector switch. Could even be your transfer case in neutral. Could even be in your rear differential. Not really familiar with that vehicle, but I am sure they will rule out the simple and obvious first.

Old 08-12-13, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The first 2 things to check would have been the fluid level and make sure the transfer case wasn't in neutral. After that it's a matter of checking everything out. Hope you luck out and it's something cheap!

How many miles on it? any maintenance ever been done?

Old 08-12-13, 11:34 AM
Sorry to report it was a catastrophic failure and had to have the transmission completely rebuilt. The part that they showed me had completely sheered off. I tried to get a name of it for everyone's benefit, but was unable to locate it on line. It did provide me with 145,000 miles of relatively faithful service. Although, I think I have more invested in the new A/C and new Transmission than the car is worth. Guess I need to hang on to it and get a little more use out of it.

My bank account is a couple of grand lighter though.

Old 08-16-13, 07:59 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We have an 01 Gimmy and had a similar experience, the rear drum for the rear clutch pack sheared from the shaft it was mounted to. It has been a few years but it was moving and then it wasn't. Rebuilt it and it is nearly a 100000 miles later. The car has over 200 on it now and still is a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: