2.8 engine idle troubles

Old 07-29-13, 06:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2.8 engine idle troubles

l have a 84 S-10 Blazer with a 2.8 V6. After running well for a good long time, one morning after starting up it wouldn't pull it self in gear. The idle stop solonoid is func. lt also will not idle with the AC on. l have fixed a couple vacuum leaks, still not better. l also noticed that the vacuum advance is not receiving much vacuum, so l put a piece of tubing on it so l could suck vacuum on the advance, but that helped just a little but not enough. l was also able to test the v-advance mechanism and it is func. ok. l have also had the elec. module tested and it is good. So l'm wondering what to check next.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 07:52 AM
B
2.8 engine idle troubles

Continuing on with my 2.8 engine idle trouble, l reciently removed the EGR valve and found it not to be holding vacuum. So l have replaced it, but still have the same trouble. The Blazer will idle, but put it in gear and it coughs and dies.

Old 08-13-13, 09:23 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is there an Idle Air Control motor on an '84?

Old 08-13-13, 05:47 PM
A
what is your idle rpm?rough idle?

Old 08-14-13, 12:08 AM
E
Assuming that the plugs are good, and the distributor cap and wires are as well and that the timing is set right, probably around 10 degrees it sounds to me like a carb problem. Possibly a sticking float not allowing enough gas into the bowl for instance, or some debris in the idle jets. Could even be a very clogged fuel filter. Without knowing all the history I think it could easily be something with the carb or fuel delivery. I would consider pulling off the carb and giving it a good cleanout then checking the float and needle movement, choke operation and replacing the fuel filter as a possible next step.

Old 08-16-13, 06:54 AM
T
The car is what 30 years old, I bet it has about a million miles on it so lets start off sharing the mileage, type of driving it sees, service history like the last time it had service with plugs and the like. If it's computerized it may as well have electrical issues that arn't a part of the engine control system. A leaking or week diode in a alternator can cause ac ripple that makes computers go nuts. Share some more stuff if you can.