2005 Chevy Trailblazer - Exhaust Manifold Cracked!

Old 07-29-13, 08:28 AM
2005 Chevy Trailblazer - Exhaust Manifold Cracked!

Has anyone heard of any recalls or TSB's for cracked exhaust manifolds for a 2005 Chevy TB? I did hear of a recall for 2002 Trailblazers and 2008-2009, but seems like this is a widespread issue covering many model years. Also heard it could fall under the emissions warranty, which covers exhaust manifold, up to 8 years/80k miles.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-13, 08:49 AM
Have you tried contacting a dealership to see if it exists?

Old 07-29-13, 01:58 PM
Dealership won't even bother to look for any TSB's, however, he quoted me $700 for the replacement but stated it could be higher since the truck has 100k miles and the bolts could break off. He stated the manifold is covered under the powertrain warranty for 3 yrs/36k miles and not the emission warranty for 8 yr 100k. I will check owners manual and warranty book later.

Thought I saw on the 2014 model the warranty covers exhaust manifolds & oxygen sensors and a bunch of other stuff for 10 years 120k miles!!

Sounds like they know it's a problem but won't address it. I did find a "special Coverage Adjustment" for certain 2009-2009 TB's which will replace cracked manifold up to 10 years or 120k miles.

Old 07-30-13, 04:00 AM
I've had a couple run-ins with the local dealers here (not GM, but Dodge) where they would try to push the cost from warrenty to the customer (make more off us then from warranty).

One thing you might consider is calling GM corporate office. If in doubt regarding warranty work, they should have the answer and generally are a lot better at providing you the real answer instead of what suites the locals.
I've had to do this with the interior dome light on our van. Dealer claimed because it was a light, which is a wear part, the fixture (and actual wiring which I found) was not covered. When I called to enquire with the corp office, it was stated that it was covered if it wasn't the bulb.

Old 07-30-13, 05:37 AM
2002 tb tsb was for intake manifold if severe engine damage happened could affect it.

Old 07-30-13, 05:41 AM
here is the campaign letter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15728[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-13, 06:42 AM
Thanks autojoe, this is the "special coverage adjustment" that I was talking about, but why only 2008-2009? It's obviously a problem over many model years.

Old 07-30-13, 06:18 PM
This was for my 2008 tb 4.2l engine......I dont know if another one for 2005.i wouldnt think.they had lots of complaints regarding problems with cracked exhaust manifolds from waht i have read online.could get a subscription from alldatadiy and search recalls and tsbs.i wish i could be more help.

Old 07-30-13, 06:26 PM
It is always up to the discretion of the manufacturer as to whether they decide to extend warranty coverage for any specific failure unless it is safety related that could expose them to either Government involvement or lawsuits that may also require a recall. They tend to look at frequency numbers of recorded failures, and investigate what is behind them first. Is it design related, defective supplier parts that are known to fall within a certain range of VIN numbers and something they can go back after their supplier for, or something that will affect all vehicles over time and tarnish the brand image. From this they make their decisions. There are a certain number of random failures expected for any component and they use this as a threshold for their decisions. Some dealers can decide on their own to offer a policy adjustment in cases where it is not provided by the OEM, but something that some of their customers have complained about. In such cases it is more of a goodwill gesture to help them decide to buy their next car from them. TSB's are not warranty however, but rather documented problem diagnosis and repair that helps the dealers find difficult problems quicker and the tech to get it right the first time. Generally warranty time is just that. After that you are on your own. Is a cracked manifold normal? No. From the OEM perspective is it an issue they should address for the customer on a 10 year old vehicle? Generally it is not.

Old 07-31-13, 06:33 AM
i agree with that 100 per cent.

Old 10-22-13, 08:44 AM
UPDATE: brought the truck into the dealer for exhaust manifold replacement after in-depth discussions with service manager regarding the care to be taken when removing the manifold bolts. I have heard many cases where they just try and crank off the rusted bolts, they snap, and charge you several hours labor to drill them out... Estimate was $700, parts plus labor. Replacement was completed with ZERO broken bolts!! And, this dealer takes 10% off for AAA members, so total cost was $630 plus tax. Could only get better if GM sends out a letter stating they are picking up all or part of this repair!! but won't hold my breath.