Subaru Legacy Tranny Trouble

Old 08-01-13, 08:03 PM
Subaru Legacy Tranny Trouble

I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 with an automatic transmission. The car only has 120K miles on it, but the transmission seems to have been "slipping" since about 75K miles, about 3-4 years ago. While driving, the shifting is generally OK, except when I "punch it", when it shifts hard. The other times that it exhibits this hard, "thumping" sort of shifting is when I am at very low speeds, such as when I'm slowly backing out of a parking space or slowing down to park the car. The frequency of this behavior seems to increase in warmer weather. A mechanic checked the transmission mounts, which were OK, felt the symptoms and quickly said "the transmission is slipping and needs to be rebuilt" (to the tune of $2400). I've been driving this car with these symptoms for 3-4 years now, and I'm wondering if any auto or Subaru expert has any other possible diagnosis. Thanks, Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 04:48 AM
Not a Subaru owner, but have had a few autos in my day.
Have you had the transmission flushed and filled yet?
$2400 sounds pretty steep.

Old 08-02-13, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure the price is out of line - least ways not around here. When the tranny first started acting up I would have changed the oil/filter .... I'd still try it and hope that the last 3-4 yrs hasn't caused any real damage.

Search this Thread