Chevy Impala Opinions

Old 08-02-13, 07:00 PM
Chevy Impala Opinions

Recently we had a rear end collision with our old Chevrolet Cavalier and the car was totaled, luckily nobody was hurt bad just a bit of minor whiplash. Now though we need a new car and have decided on maybe buying a used Chevrolet Impala.

The car we would want to buy will be a 4 door sedan with a v6 engine and the year is 2005. What I would like to know is what your opinion is of the car. I have read some reviews elsewhere and looked at the Kelly Blue Book value online but have found great value in what others have said about things here.

So what I am looking for in a mini review are the pros and cons of the Chevrolet Impala. One thing I understand it has is Onstar but read somewhere that it was analog and might need replacing. Not really important we didn't have it in our old car and don't really need it to work in our new car. So that I can see as one of the possible cons. I also heard it has dual air bags and that I see as a pro. What are your pros and cons? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 08:51 PM
I spend some time on Chevy Impala forums because of the '95 that I have, and the biggest complaint I see about the FWD Impalas center around the transmission. Some have said that there's a misalignment between the engine and transmission that causes transmission problems.

I am not personally acquainted with the platform enough to be able to offer an opinion either way. If there really is such a misalignment then that could be a real headache, but I've found that all cars have their problems, so it's hard to say if you'd have an issue like this or not, and if any other car would be any better.

Old 08-03-13, 02:45 PM
With 8 year old cars, it is now more about the specific vehicle in regards to mileage, owner history, maintenance history, accident history and so on. The 2005 Impala uses the well established 3.8 V6. While there are always some repeating issues found on any model over time, I don't think there is anything different in this way for that Impala than most other cars, though perhaps some Japanese makes have proven more realiable and trouble free as they age. No reason to run away from the purchase, but also no reason to not expect some issues down the line. Up until this year the Impala and earlier on including the Grand Prix the vehicles didn't change much for 10 years. 70% of all sales were to the fleets however. That is where my point around car history comes into it. Everyone has a different opinion about buying a former fleet vehicle. Fleets maintain them well, but the drivers often abuse them well too. If you are OK with whatever history the car has, and it has been properly maintained there should be no major surprises later.

Old 08-03-13, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
We have a 2008 Impala LT and my mother in law has about an 2005. Our 2008 has the 3.5L V6 and I find it had good power compared to our previous car, a 1999 Grand Prix with the 3.8L. The only complaints I can think of is small things , like the visors are too small, and the vents make noise when warming up in the winter, but those complaints are from the wife.

My mother in laws still says she lovers her Impala, although it does not get a lot of miles per year, I never hear a complaint.

Old 08-05-13, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your input! So far we haven't had a chance to go to the dealership but hopefully will very soon. So far both online and offline I hear some good things about the Impala and the price they want to sell the car for. I am still wanting input at least until we buy the car or get something else so if you can think of anything else to add please do so. Thanks again!

Old 08-05-13, 04:34 PM
2005 was the last of the old bodystyle. Unless money is a major issue, I'd be looking for a 2006 since it's much refined over the previous generation and still looks the same as a new 2013. Go for the 3.5L V6 which can get over 30 mpg. The 3.9L is quicker but not by much and sucks more gas.

Old 08-05-13, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
IMO I like the old body style than the new one that we have (2008) The newest one has been changed 2014 and I like that the best as of date.

We were looking at the Malibu but for the same price we got a roomer car and much more comfortable ride. We also were under 20K for the car new.

Forgot to mention: We took ours to Flordia on vacation. 1650 miles one way and we got a 34MPG average.

Old 08-06-13, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
FWIW, I haven't had a lot of Impalas on the "hook".

Old 08-06-13, 10:49 PM
Update we bought the car and it runs really great. It has some paint issues though so I might post about that only start a new thread. Hard to say how the paint got messed up maybe another car bumping up against it or someone deliberately damaged the car. In any event it looks like a minor problem and easily fixable but certainly something I want to fix before winter sets in. So thanks a great deal your input and the dealer helping us with the car is what decided things for us

Search this Thread