1997 Mercury Villager dashboard lights

Old 08-08-13, 09:15 AM
1997 Mercury Villager dashboard lights

Hello

The entire dashboard of my minivan all dark has no lights and cannot see anything at night. How many bulbs for the whole dashboard I need to buy? and what blub model or #?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-13, 09:19 AM
Did all the lights go out at the same time, or one or more lights over time?

If it's all out at once, it may be a power or ground issue (or dimmer control is turned down/off).

Old 08-08-13, 09:23 AM
Thank you for your quick reply. No not all at the same time , 1/2 of the dashboard lights went out few months ago then I think another area now all . Thanks again

Old 08-08-13, 09:56 AM
When you say dash, you are referring to the gauge cluster (where the speedo and odometer are located) or the entire dash (gauge cluster, HVAC, etc)?

Assuming it is the gauge cluster lights, I believe they are type 194 (commonly found at most autoparts stores or even some big box stores.

A quick google search indicated this to be a fairly common issue with that generation of vehicle.
I found one post online with a written how to (no pictures) that appears to be valid. No indication on how many, but I'd say have ~10 on hand (come in packs of 2 normally) and return what you don't need (or keep).

Here are the instructions I found;
Originally Posted by http://www.automotiveforums.com/t517600-discuss1999_villager_dash_lights_need_replacement_one_left_on_.html
To replace them:
1. Remove the negative battery terminal and wait at least 10 minutes before moving to the next step
2. Put the gear on 1 and tilt the steering wheel to lowest position possible.
3. Remove the 2 screws above/infront of the panel.
4. Pull out the light switch knob on the left and then pull out the defrost, rear wiper, etc. switches on the right. Use a small flat-head screwdriver and put the piece of tape on it to prevent cosmetic damage to the buttons.
5. Slightly pull out the plastic casing holding the switches (not the buttons Ėyou already removed those) so you can reach in the back of them and disconnect the switches from the casing. Then, pull the casing out slightly and you can see 4 screws holding the cluster in place. They will be right in front of you
6. Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place.
7. The gear indicator cable is attached to this cluster; remove it by unclamping it from two points. They are back (about 2Ē apart) and look slightly like a hook. Donít try to force it out. It comes out easily once you figure out those hooks
8. Now the cluster is ready to come out except itís attached by 3 connectors in the back (2 black and 1 white). Make sure you write done where each one was attached so you donít get them mixed up when you put everything back together.
9. Remove those connectors and the cluster comes right out. All the bulbs can be accessed from the back turning counter clockwise to open each bulb socket.