1993 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L 4 Cylinder Automatic

Old 08-10-13, 06:24 PM
1993 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L 4 Cylinder Automatic

I have a 93 Cavalier and I am having issues with it starting and staying running. It starts up fine once the motor is cold ( 0 ) but once my thermostat reaches the point of about ( 110 ) it runs really rough then sometimes all of a sudden it just dies on me. Sometimes once this happens I can start it again and make it to some were safe shortly down the road to pull off. I have changed the fuel filter and the pump still turns on and off like it is supposed to but if I am lucky the car can reach the temperature of ( 150-160 ) the fan will come on but very rarely will it actually run that long it usually dies at the ( 110 ) mark Could my car be dieing because of the thermostat or what I am stuck this is the first Chevy small car I have worked on I really need some advise on what it is and I need it to be preferably cheap but if I have to spend some money to get it running properly again I will do it. Please help me I need it fixed soon because my wife ( who is pregnant has to get to her doctors appointments soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-13, 04:33 AM
Group Moderator
First thing I would do would be to get the codes pulled to see if there are any stored.

Q: Is it using any amount of coolant, i.e. do you have to top off the coolant tank often?

If I was to take a stab in the dark, I might go for the coolant temperature sensor (CTS), the one for the computer, not the one for the temp gauge. If the engine is warming up to its operating temperature and the CTS still thinks the car is cold, it may be running in an overly rich condition causing the poor running.

Old 08-11-13, 09:03 AM
The coolant level is the same every time but it does run really rich some times you can smell the fuel but it does not use coolant. Where exactly is the CTS located so I can take a look at it.

Old 08-11-13, 09:39 PM
Get yourself a haynes manual from the autoparts store to help you find things on your car. Start with the coolant temp sensor like said. And perhaps the air intake temp sensor if the cts doesn't work.

Search this Thread