Untagged Car on the Street, .... Violation?

Old 08-15-13, 09:33 AM
Untagged Car on the Street, .... Violation?

Hi:
Recently, I returned the License Plate after the purchase to another car and took it the MVA nearby, as thinking the car would go to the Charity or needed individual since it runs OK except some repair.

My friend, however told me that I should not park the untagged car on the street which is right in front of my house. Parking in my neighborhood is plenty, since most of houses have their own driveways, garages or car-ports to park. Only visitors park on the street over the weekends.

Just wonder whether the untagged car is city-violation, .... or I can leave it park until Labor day or bit sooner?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-13, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Without plates it will attract the attention of police pretty quickly. If you returned the plate, it is now an unregistered vehicle and could be towed at any time unless parked on private property. Depending on how your area works of course. Around here, once it's tagged by police, it would be gone w/in a day or two. Used to be pretty much the same in my city when I lived in VA.

Old 08-15-13, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't leave it on the street. Some places even have rules about unregistered vehicles in driveways, requiring them to be fenced off in the back yard or garaged. To make that less of a danger, I'd back the vehicle in, so that the missing plate isn't visible from the street.

Old 08-15-13, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
T-W-X...unless VA has changed..they use front and rear plates. And you are right about being fenced off or garaged...but most places don't enforce that quite as strictly as when they are on the street. Unless it sits for months of course.

Old 08-15-13, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Virginia still used tags front and back. I'd definitely want to get it out of the street. In my county you are allowed one untagged vehicle per residence ...... but with the exception of the uppity subdivisions, it really isn't enforced.

Old 08-15-13, 02:07 PM
Laws vary but most places wont let you park a dead vehicle on your property much less on the street. A friend in Phoenix had to build a fence so his drag car wouldnt be visable from the street.