Ford Explorer won't moove

Old 08-15-13, 10:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ford Explorer won't moove

Hi all, can anyone suggest what has happened here please? 2002 ford explorer, went to town, came home, next day started up, put in drive, wouldn't moove!!! have read loads of stuff about ongoing ford problems with transfer cases, sensors etc, but none say they just wouldn't moove at all!! I always seem to get the "doozies" any ideas????

Old 08-16-13, 02:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I know it is elementary, but have you checked the transmission fluid level with the engine running?

Old 08-16-13, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
.... and make sure the transfer case hasn't been bumped into neutral.

Old 08-16-13, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You didn't say, but I think we're all assuming it's an automatic.

If the shift lever is overly loosey-goosey, could be a shift cable issue. I average about a call a month for that, all makes and models.

Couple of other possibles:

On a lot of newer vehicles, the only thing the mechanical shift lever/cable does is engage and disengage the Park function. Deciding what gear you want is done with an electric/electronic position sensor. This would take a tranny shop to diagnose.

The other possible is a real long shot - broken rear axle or differential. Unless it's posi-traction/limited slip, this would cause it to not move. Easy to check; have someone look underneath (safely) at the drive shaft when you put it in gear. If shaft is turning, found the problem. This is probably least likely of the causes.

Old 08-16-13, 06:35 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would imagine the only good advice would be to find a mechanic that is trustworthy. It sounds like you are in a rural area so there may not be a mechanic down the block. As mentioned before there are a lot of possibilities the easiest being a low fluid condition but you havn't mentioned having checked anything so I imagine you may not be a mechanical person. That being said find someone you trust that can be of local help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: