Malibu malfunction;

Old 08-16-13, 08:13 AM
Malibu malfunction;

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu, 3.1 L engine. The problem is, when I try to start the car the on board diagnostic system works and then won't work. If the lights come on the dash, the car will start, if they don't, it won't start. Yesterday it happened on the way home from work. The car just died! After a few minutes it started. So i drove a little further and it happened again. Finally it started again and I got home. This morning it would not start again. I tried again later and it started. What the world is going on? Please help if you can.
Thanks, dshearer

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-13, 08:51 AM
the on board diagnostic system works and then won't work....what do you mean by this and how do you know they are not working?If the lights come on the dash, the car will start, if they don't, it won't start.....what lights on the dash do you mean?when it wont start.....the engine cranks or turns over and wont start or wont even crank?

Old 08-16-13, 09:07 AM
I think he means that the instrument lights/ warning lights work and then not. Tjey are powered via the ignition on circuits in most all cars which as well powers the ignition and engine control module status so he likely has a failure in the ignition system and or the BCM, I would think he will need an automotive electrician to help him out and if he isn't well versed with a VOM he should find someone to work with it.

Old 08-16-13, 09:59 AM
the car does a systems check, which lights up the dash board. the car does turn over but won't start when the lights don't come on.

Old 08-16-13, 10:20 AM
sounds like a bad ignition switch.....would have to check ignition switch outputs when it will not start.i have been doing vehicle diagnostics for 25 years.

Old 08-16-13, 12:09 PM
With the ignition there is a light bulb function check, the ign circuit also known as circuit 15 will apply power that is grounded via the alternator coils hence you have a light bulb function check. If you don't see the bulb at this time there is likely a bad bulb or circuit for the bulb. Knowing that allows you to be aware as to when you can no longer count on the bulb. After the car starts the alternator in generating rectified electricity applies power through both sides of the bulb and the lights go out. The system checks are performed after the engine has started and then if the light re-lights you have an indicated system failure. I may have read that somewhere but it sounds good.