2007 Corolla brakes

Old 08-17-13, 11:56 AM
2007 Corolla brakes

Hello
When I touch the brake pedal at about 60 mph, the steering wheel shakes.
Recently we hit a bump which dislodged a plastic cover under the car. I was able to secure it. Could this be a loose pad wobbling on the rotor?
Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-13, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
More likely you have a loose or badly torqued wheel or a warped rotor.

Old 08-17-13, 02:04 PM
As Gunguy says you will need to either have your rotors resurfaced, or replaced if they are worn too thin, along with your front pads. Many vehicles develop this problem over time, often long before the front pads are worn out completely unfortunately.

Old 08-17-13, 02:47 PM
brakes

What struck me was that this only occurred right after we hit the bump leading me to think it was not something that developed over even a small amount of time.
However, I defer to your knowledge and thank you once again for your advice which I will take.
Peter

Old 08-17-13, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Could have lost a wheel weight, but that would tend to make it shake other times besides tapping on the brakes.

Old 08-17-13, 03:04 PM
Well I guess a diagnosis is in order, but I do thank you all for a long distance suggestion.
Peter

Old 08-18-13, 07:25 AM
I wanted to ask, if the rotor is warped + can't be turned, should I replace both and the pads also?
My neighbor looked at the pads and they are in great shape but I understand a repair place may want to replace pads so they seat well with the new rotors?
Does $500 sound right in the DC area?

Old 08-18-13, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
You should always replace the same brake parts at the same time at each end of the car. The pads are about the cheapest thing in the process and since the caliper would have to come off to replace the rotor, replacing the pads is a minor issue.

Pricing is different everywhere....but $500 for just the front brakes seem excessive to me. $40 each for rotors, $40-50 for pads, another $10-20 for all new hardware. So over $300 labor for a <1 hr job?

I had my car done at a local small shop, new pads and rotors, didn't replace hardware, just cleaned and lubed it. $245 total...$95 was for 1 hr labor.

Old 08-18-13, 01:09 PM
For $500 if all you are getting is pads and rotors that does sound excessive. Were they changing the calipers also for that price? I had factory Delphi pads installed and my rotors turned at a Chev dealer if that gives you a starting point and it cost $170.00 Where I live cheapo front brake jobs are just over $100 at those so called brake speciality shops. Not saying you should get within 100 feet of some of those places either. Just to give you some benchmarking numbers. Don't know the mileage and kind of driving you have done, but the rotors should be able to be resurfaced if this is the first set of pads, but that needs to be confirmed. Better to resurface high quality factory rotors than to buy some of the poor material based imported ones coming out of China that some of the parts stores sell you. Not all, but half of them. Some are so poor quality they need turning before they are installed. Same with some brake drums. You get what you pay for with brakes, but $500 sounds like too much.

Old 08-18-13, 02:18 PM
brakes

Hi again GG
I will get a couple of estimates to correct the shaking which I agree is a warped rotor.
The pads are thick so I don't know if I should get new or not.
Thank you for your reply.
Peter

Old 08-20-13, 07:25 PM
Usually if there is a rotor run out issue it will cause the steering wheel to pulsate at a lower speed after the brakes are warm, if driving and apply the brakes kinda on the soft side the wheel should pulsate when released. At speed there is a possibility of a steering dampener being soft as well if the wheel pulses after a pot hole is hit. We did have a number of warped/ out of true rotors in the German cars and my F350 always overheats them coming off our local mountain if traveling quickly and applying the brakes repeatedly hard generating a lot of heat.

Old 08-21-13, 08:19 AM
brakes

I appreciate the pulsating comment.
I am bringing it to the shop asap and will find out about the dx.

I do not notice any low speed pulsating just a steering wheel shake at about 50 - 60.

Old 08-21-13, 08:23 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think you mentioned how many miles were on it, Peter.

Old 08-21-13, 08:27 AM
brakes

Apologies.
There are 50K on it but we had the front end brake job done at Meineke a year ago. We were not happy as we had to go back or different shoes due to a squeal at an extra $100.
We are not car savvy so we are not sure if the rotors were turned or not.
I am going to look at the invoice and will write back in a moment or two.

Old 08-21-13, 08:33 AM
The invoice said;
front pad set, rear shoe set, resurface front rotors, front hardware kit, brake fluid surface.
After the first visit we went back about 3 weeks later and he replaced the front pads and charged $100 as they were excessively squealing. The emergency brake was never adjusted which we only noticed some time later.There is no other information on it.