2003 Astro Van dies and loses power when turning left at low rpm's

Old 08-22-13, 10:35 AM
2003 Astro Van dies and loses power when turning left at low rpm's

At a complete stop and turning left or driving at a slow speed and turning left my Van dies (it will spit and sputter) and loses power. I have to turn my steering wheel back to the right sometimes to regain power so I can restart it. It's not the fuel pump because I replaced it already and I wouldn't think it would cause the van to lose total power. I have a feeling it may be a sensor, but I really have no idea.

Anyone have knowledge on this?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-13, 01:01 PM
Well it's not exactly like the cars I used to work on but my first thought is something is moving that is compromising an electrical circuit. Perhaps an abraded wire between the engine and the chassis or even a ground. Imagine what all happens when the truck turns left, the steering turns and loads in one direction as well as the engine leans over in a similar manner. It could as well have a problem with a ground wire or even the electrical harness that feeds the engine from the chassis. The alternator harness can also be a problem. How many miles are on it and what condition are the engine and transmission mounts in. Just a starting place.

Old 08-22-13, 02:26 PM
Thanks Tijoe for the reply. It has 205,000 miles. The engine and transmission mounts seem to be solid. I was thinking about changing the engine harness, but I thought I'd ask 1st. That's what it seems like because sometimes it doesnt do it. I bought it used and I'm almost certain its been wrecked because some of the front end has yellow numbers hand painted on it like it came from a salvage yard.

Old 08-23-13, 05:48 AM
If you were to find yourself a wiring diagram for the truck you could pin it out by disconnecting both ends of a wire and using an ohm meter to check continuity of the wire both to itself and not the chassis. sounds like a pain but it is kinda what I did for many years. I had a Chevy diesel truck that had gauge issues so I made my own wiring harness to bypass the original, worked perfectly. If you can identify the wire you can trace it. Good luck

Old 08-26-13, 03:29 PM
Or maybe a plug connecter not fully connected during the wreck rebuild.