Is extensive body replacement safe?

Old 08-17-13, 08:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is extensive body replacement safe?

My 2003 Toyota Echo was hit by a truck. The driver side door is pushed far in and can't be opened, and the rear quarter panel is also damaged. The person from the insurance company who looked at the damages said replacing them would not provide the safety of the original parts. Is this true?

Old 08-17-13, 08:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't see why it would be true providing the parts were replaced correctly. Are they wanting to total your vehicle?

Old 08-17-13, 08:21 AM
S
Yes, would that give them an incentive to say that?

Old 08-17-13, 08:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Possibly, it mostly comes down to dollars and cents. I assume it's cheaper for them to replace the vehicle than to repair it. In other words, it would cost more to repair it than the vehicle is worth.

Old 08-17-13, 08:29 AM
S
Thanks, if it's safe I'll look into replacement.

Old 08-19-13, 08:48 AM
T
I did quality control at a large collision repair center and there are many body men, some are good and some are real good and others arn't as qualified or motivated. The repair of a bigger hit is done all the time and done well much of the time but a car that has a value of 5 grand isn't worth spending 4500 to repair because you will have a repaired automobile that has to be reported and it's value will decrease regardless of the quality of repair. If it were mine I would take the total and move on, it's just not worth the grief. And if some guy says he'll do it for half the cost, run away at a fast pace.

Old 08-20-13, 07:46 AM
T
I'll follow on to Tijoe's comment that it's unlikely that a 2003 Toyota Echo will ever increase in value or find any significant interest with enthusiasts. Historically, if one looks at the GM's X-platform (Chevy II/Nova and others), Chrysler's A-body (Valiant, Dart, Duster, etc) and Ford's Falcon/Comet/Maverick platform, very few of these cars are really worth anything even when their owners have fully restored them. Many of these cars sell used in good shape for only about what they sold for when new cars, and if one accounts for inflation that's something like a 75% loss.

If this were a more exotic car even if only something like its platform-mate the Scion tC, then it might be worth the downsides of having it fixed, but as it sits now, it's unlikely that there will be enough appreciation to offset the demerits of being a repaired car.

Old 08-25-13, 10:45 PM
H
I have to agree with the others on this I would accept what the insurance company gave you as a settlement and move on. Of course I know too there is sometimes sentimental value too to a car as there can be many happy memories. The insurance person though is right frames can be straightened and a car fixed but the frame will always be weaker and might even crumple more in a weak spot making this car very dangerous in another accident. Best to let this car go to the crusher and be destroyed.

I know how you feel though I just messed up my moms old car just trying to move it about a month ago. So you never really want to let go of what was once a good car but really should for your sake and for your passengers sake. Think of it this way too now you have a chance to move on up to a better car be it used or new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: