Is it worth it? Extended warranty on used Nissan Versa 2008

Old 08-29-13, 03:05 PM
Is it worth it? Extended warranty on used Nissan Versa 2008

Hi,

I am about to purchase a used Nissan Versa 2008 with about 60000 miles on it from a dealer. The car seems to be in pretty good condition, only one owner, and clean carfax. It comes with a one year/14000 miles warranty on the powertrain. If I decide not to take the warranty the car's price is $400 less.

I was wondering if anybody knows how likely is such a car to need a major repair between 60000 and 74000 miles.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Whats the warranty w/o the extension?

IMO, you'll be throwing the money away. If it's in good shape and has been maintained, doubt you'd see any problem that would be covered anyway.

Old 08-29-13, 03:43 PM
Without the extension the warranty is just one month. The original warranty for this car expires after three years, I think.

Old 08-29-13, 04:28 PM
I don't know about used cars but you can buy extended warranties on new cars on the open market and save a significant amount of money. You might try calling some independent insurance brokers to find out more information.

Old 08-30-13, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
On any specific purchase the warranty might be a good idea but in general, you will lose money buying them as the point of them is for the seller to make money. You come out ahead if you instead take the same amount of money and dump it into a savings account used for repairing/replacing the items on which you did not buy the warranty.

Old 08-30-13, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually had a call yesterday from a broken English speaking woman who claimed she was from some official sounding car place. Boiled down to wanting to sell me an extended warranty on the wife's '07 Camry.

When I suggested where she could deposit her policy, she hung up. No sense of humor I guess.

Old 09-01-13, 09:18 AM
Where ever you leak the world will hang a bucket.

Old 09-07-13, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
I was going to comment earlier, but I'm in agreement with the others.

One point I would like to make however; I would never buy a used vehicle from a dealer where the warranty period was only 30 days unless I shelled out $$$ for an extended one. That may be their business modus operandi; only offer 30 day warranty to make buyer nervous enough to pay the extra.

Pretty good article here:

Buying an extended warranty on a used car