Please help me understand this hard wire thing

Old 09-15-13, 02:27 PM
SBI
Please help me understand this hard wire thing

I am want to hardwire my radar detector using the OEM kit (I've done this before on another car, but I spliced into existing wires).

What I don't understand is, if this is a "wiring into fuse box", why do I need the big fuse holder that comes with it? Isn't this suppose to be protected by the fuse in the fuse box (hence "wiring into fuse box")?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-13, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you put the wires on the hot side of the fuse, you have no protection. It is basically to protect yourself from yourself. I see no problem in wiring it to a hot wire and ground in the harness, as long as it isn't to the air bags, security system, etc. That is probably why they named it to the fuse box. In addition you may have spaces in your panel that allow for things like accessories, fog lights, etc.

Old 09-15-13, 03:18 PM
SBI
But if I use a fuse tap like this, it is protected, correct? I won't need the bulky one in the middle of the wire...?

Old 09-15-13, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Correct. But you would need to eliminate the casing in some manner.

Old 09-15-13, 04:31 PM
SBI
Absolutely. Thanks Chandler.

Old 09-19-13, 03:50 PM
The reason behind using a fuse is to protect an electronic device or the wiring from damage caused by a sudden spike in current. The device cam with a fuse assembly, what was the fuse rated at, thats the only real thing you shouldn't change meaning the level of protection. Attaching to the fuse box can imply several things, there is power both constant and switched by the ignition or another device. The first thing to decide is when you want it to be on and find that circuit. If you tap into an existing fused circuit it needs to be the same fuse as that was in the installation kit and that may be hard to find. Some cars come with circuits supplied just for accessories but most don't. Remember what you are wanting to do before choices are made.