Chrysler Town and Country 2002 starts fine when restart it won't start right awa

Old 05-18-09, 05:55 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Chrysler Town and Country 2002 starts fine when restart it won't start right awa

Hi
I have a minivan Chrysler Town and Country 2002
2 days ago it started fine, went somewhere and when tried to start it, it did not start at the first try, it started right away at the second try, then it started showing the engine icon (orange)
it did not say check engine o service engine soon, the only thing lighted was the engine icon and HAS stayed that way since.
I checked the oil_lucky me! it needed 2 quartz and a half!!
Checked the water, it was ok.
Did the same start it, it did not start at the first try, it started right away at the second try and the engine icon still lighted.
A friend checked it to see if he could find the code and he said it was the transmission but I had not had any noticeable problems.
Is the starter an solenoid connected to the Transmission and maybe and these are failing?
Could the computer read as engine problem?
If it is low in transmission fluid can it show as engine problem?
As I write this I will go check the transmission fluid

Thank You
I'd appreciate all your help from anybody

Old 05-18-09, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Well let's attack it in order:

1. The engine icon IS the check engine light; this varies by make model. Some have text, others just icon.
2. Being down 2 1/2 quarts of oil is on the verge of being low enough to cause damage; take care not to do a repeat of that.
3. How did your friend retrieve the codes?
4. Starter and solenoid are not connected to the tranny and will not light the check engine light even they fail.
5. The computer can't read that as an engine problem.
6. You need to get the codes read to see what's up. AutoZone will do it for free.

Something to try the next time it does the routine of only starting on the second try: Turn the key to the on position but not all the way to "start". Turn key off. Turn key to on again and try to start. If it will start on first try using this on-off-on-start sequence likely you have a fuel delivery problem, i.e. fuel pump or filter. Neither of those will directly light the light, but may create a condition which will cause it to light.

Old 05-19-09, 07:49 PM
B
1)PO700 code

Thank you Tow Guy!!
I got another code from another mechanic friend .both mechanics showed this code 1)PO700
I took a pic of the second friend readout and could not understand the mambo jambo the gizmo he used was a SOLUS Pro
here it is what I read:" 1) PO700 transmission Control System/Read DTC's in TCM
Code sets if any DTC sets in transmission controller.Monitored with ignition Key on continuosly"

Can you help me with this?
I thank you in advance!!
Here it is the picture of the code

Last edited by boomer57tux; 05-19-09 at 08:04 PM. Reason: picture
Old 05-19-09, 08:19 PM
B
Exclamation Dtc tcm

Thanks Google and guys like The Tow GUY!
I just found what DTC meansiagnostic Trouble Code
TCM: Transmission Control Module

Can Auto Zone pinpoint the exact problem?

Old 05-20-09, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
No. When AutoZone reads you codes they give you a computer printout that will list likely casues and often the guy will give you his opinion, but keep in mind that in most cases he's not a trained mechanic and the reader is pretty basic vice a full systems scanner.

The P0700 is Transmission Control System Malfunction (I had to look it up) which appears to be a general indication of a problem with the transmission control. The look-up site also lists some specific codes that would be related running from P0701-P0790 which might have given you a little more narrow idea of the cause. Unfortunately I think you're looking at having it checked at a reputable transmission shop. I don't generally recommend general repair shops for transmission diagnosis and repair. I also generally prefer a good independent over the big name brands. If you can hold out I'll try to swing into my favorite tranny shop today and ask him if there is any particular issue that would expected with that code on your particular vehicle.

By any chance did your buddy reset the light to see if it would come back? Sometimes it's a one time gremlin that a simple rest of the light cures (since you don't see any tranny issues
at the moment).

The P0700 was the only code to come up? Doesn't seem to relate to your starting issue.

Old 05-20-09, 05:52 AM
Transmission codes are not monitored by OBD2 "EMMISSIONS" systems.

Hence the "MYTH" that an auto parts store that does free SCANS, will be able to help you with all forms of "CODES".

Your "PCM" is monitored however, and this is his way of telling you that something is wrong, in an unrelated Environment.

PO 700, simply means that the last time your PCM and TCM got together for coffee, TCM said he wasnt feeling well.......

Now , a question for you......Snap -On SOLUS is a PRIME piece of equipment.... Why didnt your friend pull the TRANS code while the unit was hooked up???????

In the TCM module there will be a Code for the TCM malfunction.Get that code and diagnose it before replacing a 600$ module on a GUESS.....

Old 05-20-09, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Aaah, reinforcements. Beer 4U2

To add to what diezel said, my tranny guy said the P0700 code was pretty much meaningless because it's so general.

Backing up a bit (credit my tranny guy), when you say "wouldn't start" on first try do you mean it would crank but not fire or it wouldn't crank at all? If it's a no crank first try, but then crank and start second time he suggested a problem with the gear selector circuit/neutral-park safety (which might explain the P0700 presumeably).

Old 05-20-09, 05:16 PM
B
Town and Country Trans again

Hi guys Tow guy and Diezel
Greetings from Sacramento
My friend with the SOLUS Pro he was very frank and said it was the first time he was using this kind of equiment, my minivan was the first one to be tested, in fact he told me he called a more experimented guy to check the codes and he suggested him to send me to a tranny shop
My wife went to to AUTO ZONE but they don't offer that service anymore
She went looking for repair shops and in one they charge $40 just to diagnose it and a different one $90
She found a place where they are going to test it tomorrow
Can The SOLUS Pro pinpoint the exact problem?
I am going to drive the vehicle myself to feel any dragging or changes with the gears
NO, my friend did not reset the light,
If he reset it and the light comes back that means it is a real mechanical problem?
" If it's a no crank first try, but then crank and start second time he suggested a problem with the gear selector circuit/neutral-park safety (which might explain the P0700 presumeably)."
Where is this gear selector circuit/neutral-park safety located?
Can it be fixed easily?
I am going to do 3 things:
1-Drive the minivan myself
2-reset the light
3-check this gear selector circuit

By the way I checked the fluid and it needed one quart
what happen the first guy that tested it fixed a leak in the transmission and sealed and said it would not leak, this was like 7 mo ago

Yes , yes, yes I will be more careful

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-20-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
AutoZone turning down potential revenue? Wow, thought everyone wanted more business.

Resetting the light is to see if it does come back; usually indicates something actually wrong rather than a fleeting gremlin that lights the light then goes away never to be seen again. The light has to be reset with either a scan tool or reader with reset capability.

Repair shops vary on diagnostic charges. Nobody is going to diagnose it for free (other than places like AutoZone who give you codes and a list of possible causes, which is not the same as diagnosing the problem). Some garages will waive or lower that amount if you then subsequently pay for repair work.

Not sure you answered the q on starting: On the first turn of the key does it crank or not? This could be critical.

The gear selector electrics and neutral safety (this is a non-tranny-fixing guy talking; where'd diezel run off to???) should be mounted on or in the tranny itself. I doubt that would be DIY.

Old 05-20-09, 07:07 PM
Dumb question, But what color is your Ignition Key...Grey or Black??? (With or without "Sentry Key Immobilizer Module")

Without starting the engine....Cycle the ignition key On -off--on-off- on ....

Wait 5 seconds and in the odometer window will be a list of PO numbers.... Followed by a " dOnE" message.....Write the numbers down and post them back.....

Yes ..SOLUS is capable of determining TCM faults....But as with everything "Electrical" , it will only be a Guide, or "Starting point". Computers are smart, but they dont have eyes, and cant see the broken or crushed wires..It only knows it isnt recieving the information it expects to see......Us mechanics are still a necessary part of Troubleshooting.....

Old 05-21-09, 07:39 PM
B
another code for Town @Country Minivan

My wife took the minivan to AAMCO and they gave her the same old general code PO700 (I allready have it on my dreams!)
when I went to pick up the car I had to wait for one hour!
they were swamped and had only one front desk clerk.
I talked to the customer service guy and he told me they need to open the Trans and diagnose it, then he went away so I could not tell him if I could leave my car there so it could be checked tomorrow Friday.
A young guy from the shop came to the front and saw me and more people several times
He had pity on the customer service guy (he was on the phone)and started helping the impatient customers.
I went back to the shop and he came back again and he said" He has not come out?"
So, he helped me too and he volunteered to scan the van and again the same code but then he said it could go further and he came with this code : "PO755 2-4 solenoid error" he mentioned solenoid block
and it was 1/1 error (only one)
I asked how much would cost to install the solenoid(s) (block)
and the customer service guy said about $350

Going back on history :The first PO700 was found with a small scaner and the guy had to see a book
The second scan was done with the SOLUS Pro but the guy was not used to it
another shop came with the same PO700 and an estimate of $ 2600
AAMCO too came with the PO 700,but the guy that helped me later,went further and found this code PO755
I know and as DIEZEL said the computers are just a guide, but ...why nobody goes further than a general code?
I will take the van tomorrow to find the exact problem
AAMCO does not charge to open the Transmission,diagnose it, and then put it back the same way and they give you an estimate
My friend with the SOLUS Pro said he did one job like this before
(By the way I found this SOLUS scanner isa Prime piece of equipment, the young man said he would like to get his hands on one)
I know he can get parts cheaper
Any ideas?

Old 05-22-09, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
I would be real clear on what will cost what at AAMCO plus you might want to get a second opinion (at least on price) from a second tranny shop prefereably froma good independent.

I'm a little confused; you've had no tranny/shifting issues through all this only the start thingee?

I'll hit up my tranny guy today if I can and see what he says about that error code.

Old 05-22-09, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, if I can remember everything, here's the deal. That code does in fact point at the solenoid block. Couple of caveats, however:

1. With the P0755 code, you should be having tranny/shifting issues. What he said was that with that code the tranny should be in "limp" mode, i.e. only second gear. I got the impression he had never seen that code without having an associated shifting problem.

2. He keeps one of those solenoid blocks on the shelf, but it's primarily because the older design would develope leaks.

3. His cost on the block is about $175, so the $350 bill would be in the ballpark; he said that's about what he would charge. BTW, that's an external part (rather than one that's inside and requires a pan drop to access) and he said the way they test that is that usually with that code if they reset the CEL it will immediately come back on. They then unplug the installed solenoid block and plug in a new one; if the light then resets and stays off, sure bet it's the solenoid block and they change it. He never jumps right in and changes the block without further diagnosis.

4. The solenoid block and it's associated codes will not, repeat not, have any bearing on the funky starting problem that you asked about in your original post (I already knew that but he reinforced it).

BTW, run far, far away from the guy who wanted the $2600.

Also, refresh my memory, has the light ever been reset to see if it comes back on?????

Old 05-24-09, 01:23 AM
B
the guy at AAMCO said his technician did not find any problem with the transmission,he said it had plenty oil, runs good and he found another code PO726 related to solenoid block and he wants me to bring it back Tuesday to have an electric check up ($46) to make sure its not the solenoid or something else,
so now I know of 3 codes :
PO700 (forget that one)
PO755 solenoid
PO726 1-2 solenoid
No, nobody has reset the light
He said my cost could be $ 500 to $ 600
The solenoid block said would cost him $ 300/350
I told him my friend that works for the goverment can get it for $ 144 from Autoquest and I should make a bussines of it selling it to AAMCO, I ask him if I could bring the part and he said no
I don't know why he did not call me to let me know about the electric check up, I would say yes , I need the damn van!
He told me until I came to P.U , the car, and he said forget the $98 for the diagnostic (?)
The funny thing I saw my car on the same exact place I left on the morning, ....How do I know they really checked?
One technician found the PO755 the day before
The guy did not give me anything written.
Yes his quote is better than $ 2600

Old 05-24-09, 01:27 AM
B
Chrysler minivan

I forgot
I have been driving the van myself and did not have the problems my wife mentioned.
The car always started at the first click,
I have some jumping on the motor when I put it on drive but not very serious,
The guy at AAMCO said his technician did not find anything wrong with the tranny

Old 05-24-09, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Frankly, I wouldn't be spending any more money on it unless I was convinced there was a problem, check engine light notwithstanding. I have the CEL taped over on my daughter's car because the CEL keeps popping up indicating a catalytic converter efficiency problem (of which there ain't one). Don't get wrapped around the axle because of a CEL.

The reason I said run from the $2600 was that guy was trying to sell you a complete rebuild on a problem that or may not even exist and even if it does, would cost a lot less than that to repair.

If you're convinced it actually has a tranny problem, I would be getting another opinion, preferably from a good independent tranny shop that doesn't immediately try to sell a rebuild job.

Old 05-27-09, 06:30 PM
B
Unhappy Minivan Chrysler Town& Country

more bad news
after going back and forth to AAMCO for a week they allegedly could not diagnose the problem
I called again today and they told me the "technician" was still working on my van trying to find the problem 2 days ago they told me they needed to check the electrical system , I don't know if they did or not , the guy I talked to said there's nothing wrong with the solenoids even if his scanner read the PO755 and Po726 codes
Now he said he unscrewed the pan and found some metal particles on it
he said his technician needs to go further in the transmissioin and he would gladly open it for me and put it back together just for the for low price of $ 799.99 plus taxes
yeah right!
If I agree to it, they will tell me that the whole transmission needs to be rebuilt and I won't have a choice since is either losing $ 800 or adding them to any amount they choose to charge me to "fix" the transmission
I will talk to my friend about reseting the lights to see if the light comes back, also I am thinking about buying an old used car for the same price of "fixing the transmission", while I find an honest mechanic.I know there is many out there.
What we need is a revolution against all this greedy companies
I know this is America where we are free to make money any legal way you can
but .....where are the ethics?
I have a plan, but of course it involves money!
I bet there is thousand Johns Smiths like me that don't have a clue about so many things and we fell prey to greedy people like hundreds of dishonest mechanics, lawyers, doctors, you name it.
I have a plan.
but I guess, like many Americans I will keep on dreaming

I feel way depressed

Old 05-28-09, 07:41 PM
B
I noticed the engine jumps when My wife changed gears , I talked to my mechanic and he said there is 4 o 5 mounts that support the engine and he mentioned that one goes in the transmission ...any chances that a bad mount would upset the transmission?
I checked the prices of these mounts
and they are about 35 to 45 dollars...each?
that means about $ 200 on parts?
he charges me $ 80 to install them
Also my wife mentioned that the van does not seem to run as smooth as before, that I need to see it myself
Also for the worst scenario I am checking for rebuilt transmissions, but I will reset the lights to see if there is a real problem or if it is just a gremlin(?)
I called one shop about rebuilt transmission
and they have one for $ 850 plus $ 375 to mount it 12k miles warranty, if I want 36K miles that will cost me another additional $ 300
Thank you guys for all your advice!!

Old 05-29-09, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
The mounts could give some jumping, but would not affect the actual operation. I would question the tranny shop's motives. Some shops will gladly rebuild your tranny to fix what would otherwise have been a much simpler and cheaper repair. There any good independent shops around? Ask friends, neighbors, fellow workers?

Old 05-31-09, 06:55 PM
B
I will see if I can reset the light, to see if it's an ACTUAL problem
if the light reappears then , I will know I have a problem with the Engine
I don't know if anybody did this at the 3 diff places that they scanned the car or computer
I am also shopping for rebuilt transmisions online
so far i have had several possible problems that could affect the tranny
1-solenoids(AAMCO)
2-problems with the fuel line
3-the computer itself
4-a bad light(gremlin?)
5-metal on the pan (AAMCO)
6-electrical problem( AAMCO)
7-is running on the 2nd gear( a mechanic said this to my wife)

before this , like 7 months ago a guy fixed a leaking on the transmission, he installed gaskets
also the day the light (engine icon) showed up the day before I removed the battery to start my pick up truck, started my truck , then put it back on my van
I will try the on-off-on-start myself
greetings guys

Old 06-01-09, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
I have to jump back to the beginning for a moment, boomer. The thread started as a mysterious starting problem and now we seem to be focusing on a supposed transmission issue. Check engine light aside was there a tranny issue and does it continue to have a tranny issue? Ignore check engine light and anything anyone has told you to this point; the $64,000 question is, how does the tranny operate????????????

Your #7 is interesting as it would confirm what was said earlier (passed on from my tranny guru) that a bad solenoid block should put the tranny in limp mode, i.e. running on 2nd gear. This would certainly be noticeable; it would lug from a stand still and scream like a mashed cat at any speed over about 30 mph!

Can't remember if it's been addressed, but how many miles are on it?

Old 06-01-09, 05:52 PM
B
the tranny seems to operate ok, runs smooth at any speed , I don't hear any mashed cats or hear any noticeable noises, my wife says it does not run as it used to, but I think she got freaked out,
the starting problem remains, only when my wife starts it.
it has 116,556 miles.
Sorry but I got lost when you said "it would lug from a stand still"
thank you
and pray x me
I am (like millions of people) on deep economic troubles and I don't need this kind of problems with cars.

Old 06-02-09, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Lug from a standstill as in trying to ride a 10-speed bicycle from a stop say in 5th gear.

I'm just getting a feeling you're getting wrapped around the axle about a tranny problem that may not exist.

Any of you other mechanic types out there have any additional thoughts?

Try telling wife you got it worked on and have her drive it to see if she feels the difference (placebo approach).

Old 06-02-09, 04:02 PM
Clearing a trans code is a simple matter of disconnecting the battery, counting to ten( The hard part) and reconnecting it. Then take it out on the highway for 20 minutes , at 50 to 60 MPH. You have a Tachometer...at 50 Mph cruise, should be near 2000 RPM, Maybe 2500, but no more.

From experience, Both as a Chrysler tech, and having bad transmissions in my own vehicles, .....If you can comfortably drive at highway speeds for more than 20 minutes......You Arent stuck in second gear!!!!!!!

I really think this one is being way OVER-THOUGHT.

However, I would like to see more about your Mystery "No start" scenario...

Old 06-02-09, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Unc. Beer 4U2

Old 06-08-09, 08:49 AM
M
Had the same problem

The car would not start every time... it would start and then it would shut off and then i would have to start it two or three times to get it running.

Turned out to be the skim module attached to the steering column. There is no "code" for that go figure...

Basically the car was not recognizing the key. I needed a new key and skim and then programming of the skim which not many places can do. It was an expensive job...

Good luck

Old 06-08-09, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by mominator35
The car would not start every time... it would start and then it would shut off and then i would have to start it two or three times to get it running.

Turned out to be the skim module attached to the steering column. There is no "code" for that go figure...

Basically the car was not recognizing the key. I needed a new key and skim and then programming of the skim which not many places can do. It was an expensive job...

Good luck
Excellent point.......

If you look back thru this thread I asked the OP if he had a black or Gray ignition key......I dont think he ever answered that question, and we were all side tracked by the trans issue, But the gray Key indicates a SKIM equipped Vehicle..

I work for Chrysler, and what you were told is absolutely correct....Only an authorized dealership has access to the personal information and "Key Codes" necessary to duplicate keys and Program security modules.

Inconveinient and expensive....Yes absolutely.....But consider without this inconveinience and expense...Anyone could look at your windshield, Copy your VIN number and have a Key made for your vehicle ...All within the timeFrame that you spend Grocery shopping........

Old 06-08-09, 03:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mominator35
It was an expensive job...
I wonder HOW expensive?

If truly expensive, they should make the car companies pay for stuff like this. Cars used to work just fire the way they were before they started adding all this fancy stuff.

When people's car alarms go off, nobody pays any attention anymore, as it is like crying wolf. Didn't they know that kind of thing would happen when they designed the security system?

Old 06-08-09, 03:57 PM
Usually upwards of 400.....Depending on labor rate, and whether or not the key must be programmed, as opposed to just the module.

Sorry EC, But I do have to disagree with you on this one......

Auto Theft has drastically reduced in the last 10 years. Mostly because of systems like this. I wont say "Unstealable" because if its there , it can be stolen, but access to the equipment necessary , takes it out of the scope of "Joyriding Teens" and Neighborhood Thugs, as well as the "Unethical and Greedy " local locksmith.

The Skim System on Chryslers is Optional equipment. In my opinion, if you ordered an option like this on a brand new vehicle , then you should be prepared to maintain it, or part with the vehicle after the warranty is over. If you bought it used, you had the Choice of "Passing" on the deal if you didnt want it with all Toys in it.

Old 06-08-09, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
You would have to know about it or be told, of course, to be able to make an informed decision.

Old 06-08-09, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
You would have to know about it or be told, of course, to be able to make an informed decision.
Would you buy a New Wrecker Based on the pretty Color, or the extra capacity wheel Lift

Again ..Just an opinion, but the average USED car these days is still in the 20K range, and I wouldnt part with a dime of my own money, unless I had done my homework..If it is New..then ASK the salesman what it is , and what it does, before you check or Uncheck the option box.....He's being paid RADICAL amounts of money to ensure that you are happy, and he is paid....If he doesnt know , he should find out...If he cant or wont find out...then you pick yourself up...and find someone who will......and leave the unsigned deal sheet on his desk.......

I do realize that this is getting off topic.....But.....Back in the 90's, there would be One or two customers, every summer, who would come into the shop, on the hottest day of the year, with The AC not working. They usually had owned the car for 2 or 3 months.

Lo and behold....The vehicle is Not equipped with AC, and never was......But she SWEARS that it blew cold air in January , when she bought it.......

Now , It is a new question.....How do I activate the Cruise Control??????There is no Button marked Cruise????? ....Thats because you dont have Cruise on this vehicle......"But dont they all come with Cruise?????" .....NO.... and on and on......

Old 06-08-09, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Aaah, but you inadvertently hit the nail on the head. You (and I) wouldn't part with that much money without research and don't (generally) buy stuff because it's pretty or has all the latest gizmos, BUT a significant number of the motoring public does.

Once referred one of my calls to a tow buddy with a rollback becasue the lady's Explorer I was supposed to tow was AWD; she had no clue it was four wheel drive, never mind all wheel drive. Beer 4U2

Old 09-19-13, 06:28 PM
W
2002 town & country minivan wont start

just got this and got it home and went to leave and the it wont crank or nothing first i thought that i didn't turn the alarm off but did and tried everything you guys recommend on here and it still wont do nothing i get no sound like i didn't turn the alarm off but i did several times what do i do now please help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: